Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what I would need to do to be able to teach English in Germany. I want to take a year out after my university studies but don't have much money. I want to improve my German as well so I have thought about teaching English for a year there. Anyone done the same?Any ideas where to start?

ReputationRep:
    Try the Language Assistant programme: http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants
    I did it last year in France and it improved my French massively

ReputationRep:
    I want to do this as well; I think the one above looks pretty good, but I wasn't sure how good your german/french etc needs to be?

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about teaching English abroad for a while, not took the plunge as it doesn't quite fit into other plans at the moment.

When I looked on their website I remember it saying you have to know the native language (apart from China - which is where I would want to go anyway). However, I met someone who had done a British Council placement in France and they didn't know the language to the 'required level' (apparently A Level but she only had GCSE). I questioned them on this and they just said she emailed them and was accepted.

P.s. according to the website you need AS level standard French/German or higher.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried looking at language schools based in Germany?
    I'm living in Norway now and I basically took my CV, went into some language schools and have been teaching English freelance for 3 months. It's not v exciting work (in my opinion anyway) but it gets you some cash.
    It's not very reliable work though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about the British Council thing but if you're planning on teaching English at language schools then you will almost definitely need a TEFL certificate. Germans have been learning English for a long time (as opposed to Czech Rep where I teach) and therefore expect well-qualified and experienced teachers.

In Prague there are a lot of cowboy teachers around who know next to nothing, but land jobs. That's just the way the market is and I suppose everybody's gotta start somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    The language assistant thing looks good but I don't think my German is good enough (only done a year course at uni). Has anyone done Berlitz or something like that for a year?

ReputationRep:
    You need to have a Trinity or CELTA/DELTA certificate of EFL training to teach in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mooni;29092429]Try the Language Assistant programme: http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants
    I did it last year in France and it improved my French massively [/QUOT

Hey Mooni,

I've just applied to teach in Frace through that scheme. Im still awaiting a reply from them, How long did it take for you to find out you were successful and what do they base it on?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.