Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My sister bought me some GAWJUS david and goliath headphones from christmas.
    £25 worth, and by the 28th of december, 3rd day of using the headphones, they dont work.
    whenever theyre plugged into my laptop the sound cuts of, and i have to move ever so slightly for the sound to come back on, or touch part of the wire to make the sound come back :/ i've used other headphones in the laptop, so it isnt the laptop thats broken, and ive used the headphones in my ipod and the problem is the same.
    im really annoyed and a bit upset about this.
    my sister didnt keep the receipt and i threw away the box > so i dont think i can get a refund or replacement
    What's your opinion? complain?

heres a pic of the headphones
    http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/accessor...eadphones.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlock-05)
    £25 worth, and by the 28th of december, 3rd day of using the headphones, they dont work.
    whenever theyre plugged into my laptop the sound cuts of, and i have to move ever so slightly for the sound to come back on, or touch part of the wire to make the sound come back :/ i've used other headphones in the laptop, so it isnt the laptop thats broken, and ive used the headphones in my ipod and the problem is the same.
    my sister didnt keep the receipt and i threw away the box > so i dont think i can get a refund or replacement

Moved this to Sound and Vision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlock-05)

I see you use the word gorgeous very loosely
    Only messing with you.

Ok first off where were they bought?

Technically, as their are electrical goods you don't need the box, or even proof of purchase (It would have been a lot better if you had it though. If they are from the internet then she might still the billing emails? Or she could even get a statement from the bank, which which will have the sellers details on, the price paid, and more importantly the date! If she paid with cash, then you're in a bit of a pickle!)

Either way, the truth is you have no obligation to provide a receipt. Shops will ask for it, and try and refuse refund yet they are in the wrong.

The fault sounds like a wiring fault, most probably not your fault (unless you dropped them?) which means the vendor is legally obliged to refund you.

Contact who ever she got them from. If it was over the internet, or by bank/credit card your laughing.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a way of showing the store that's where they came from they should replace them. If they give hassle then try mentioning the the Sale of Goods Act or Trading standards.

If you don't have any form of proof of purchase: receipt, bank statement, warranty card etc. then there's probably not much you can do. Unless they happened to take the details at the shop. In that case the best option you've got is to try the manufacturer and see if they'll exchange them (but the contract is with the shop so that's the place that should do the exchange but without the receipt there's no easy proof of that contract.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.