Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ever feel like you don't spend enough time with your family? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i never really noticed it before, but i guess my family just doesnt do family stuff. and it kinda got me down.
    i dnt no if its because we dnt do family stuff that i spend so much time out of the house or vice versa.
    i dnt really feel like i fit in my family either.
    :/
    am i weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HermioneLockhart)
    i never really noticed it before, but i guess my family just doesnt do family stuff. and it kinda got me down.
    i dnt no if its because we dnt do family stuff that i spend so much time out of the house or vice versa.
    am i weird?
    nah, not weird really. Understand where you're coming from, not sure, have you ever tried doing anything as a family? Could all watch a movie and get the snow ball rolling from there? Not sure, don't know how your family life is so I can't really say how you can fix it, normally it takes a bit of a push from someone to get the whole unit to do something.

ReputationRep:
    My family have never done anything together either. :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    am i weird?
    Awwwwwwww :hugs:
    Don't feel bad, my family's exactly the same. I find it so strange how other families seem to be so close and see eachother so often, whereas the last time I saw any of my cousins was more than half a year ago. Although I only live with my Dad and I guess we're pretty close.

Don't worry about the whole family stuff thing, hopefully you'll have friends who are like family to you? Just get them together and try and do 'family stuff' with them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't spend a lot of time with my family either. When I lived at home, mum was away most weekends, and I worked Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, so only really saw her Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and me and my brothers a like passing ships.

Now I've moved out, I've not seen any of them for 3 months, until I came back for Christmas hols las week, and even now I've probably spent more time catching up with old friends than I have the family.

But I don't feel guilty about it - it anything happens, we know we are there for each other at the end of the day. We are still fairly close (well, me and my mum anyway), so don't really feel the need to spent a lot of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    nah, not weird really. Understand where you're coming from, not sure, have you ever tried doing anything as a family? Could all watch a movie and get the snow ball rolling from there? Not sure, don't know how your family life is so I can't really say how you can fix it, normally it takes a bit of a push from someone to get the whole unit to do something.
    well, we're all very different, we tend to do our own things.
    i mean we do christmas, and we always have fun. we watch the odd film together and sorta go shopping in pairs or whatever.
    but we get up each morning, and there is no family plan- we just get up and do our own thing.
    even just typing all this has helped me sort it in my head anyways i think.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone!
    you've put my mind at rest
    i dont feel quite so strange now
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    am i weird?
    All I can say is SAME
    My family are not so family like,even if they are I have nothing to do with it
    I only sense when I go over to friends or family and their house is so different.
    So I guess I don't fit in either.
    And a person can only be weird if something happens to them or they only do it.
    So NO you are not weird,well hopefully

ReputationRep:
    well, we're all very different, we tend to do our own things.
    i mean we do christmas, and we always have fun. we watch the odd film together and sorta go shopping in pairs or whatever.
    but we get up each morning, and there is no family plan- we just get up and do our own thing.
    even just typing all this has helped me sort it in my head anyways i think.
    thanks
    Well, to be honest, sounds like a typical family that haha, not weird in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    Were teenagers, theres nothing weird about not feeling you get along with your family.

I've always been extremely close to my mum although since like the age of 14 we started to argue alot (I have/had abit of a temper) now adays we still argue but much less frequently and I've matured in the fact that I don't shout and get too lippy anymore I just talk.

This probably dosent seem related to your problem but the way I see it is as I grow out of teenagehood and into adulthood my relationship with my family will probably be alot better like when I was a kid.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.