Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered whether the salary brackets given by the NHS include private pay (refering to consultant salaries).

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't.

(Original post by Scipio)
      I just wondered whether the salary brackets given by the NHS include private pay (refering to consultant salaries).
      no and not all consultants do private work.
      not all specialty areas allow for it

ReputationRep:
      cheers guys

(Original post by Jamie)
      no and not all consultants do private work.
      not all specialty areas allow for it
      I get that, it only just came to me that those salaries weren't the total incomes for many doctors at the top end of their training so I wanted to clarify that.

ReputationRep:
      I think I read in an article a few years ago that about 50% of consultants do some form of private work, and on average these consultants get around £60,000 from it, this is not including costs though. Of course some earn less and some earn a hell of a lot more, depends on the specialty really.
      These figures are slightly out of date though so I imagine that 60k has gone up a little.

ReputationRep:
      Depends what you count as private work - bash cash, GPs notes and crem forms are all private work but they're worth bugger all in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
      Especially if you include 40% tax

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
      Especially if you include 40% tax
      I, of course, declare all my extra income but I'm not sure many of my colleagues do.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.