Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anyone know anything about TSS (toxic shock syndrome- girls only might wanna read) Watch

Right, well I know that it's most common through use of tampons etc, and it's bacterial, and i've been through the symptoms online and read some stuff about it. I have several of the symptoms, but does anyone know what the most common ones are?

i found these are the general symptoms:

* high fever (greater than 102° Fahrenheit [38.8° Celsius])
    * rapid drop in blood pressure (with lightheadedness or fainting)
    * sunburn-like rash on the entire body
    * vomiting and diarrhea
    * severe muscle aches or weakness
    * bright red coloring of the eyes, throat, and vagina
    * headache, confusion, disorientation, or seizures
    * kidney and other organ failure

i have several of these: i.e. sudden high fevers, particularly at that time of the month, sore throat particularly at that time of the month, dizziness and light headedness past what is normal, stomach aches (i very very rarely vomit), severe muscle aches, complete lack of energy and sutff, and really bad headaches, also been very clumsy and sometimes confused, muddling up speech etc. also had some severe discomfort when wearing tampons e.g. sometimes hard to sit down, or to stand up straight and walk, and i know i'm using them right as been using them for years (i know people don't wanna know this but i'm all paranoid!)

i found that it's a blood problem, i recently went to the doctors, and they did blood tests for anemia, as thought it could be this, but they dont know what's the problem, because my red blood count was fine, and the doctor i spoke to on the phone was told i needed to be tested for something else but he wasn't sure what it meant or what the connection was. i've been unable to go back as of yet cos of the snow and being too far away etc.

does anyone know any more about it? thoughts or anything? or know anyone who's had it and what the main symptoms are etc?

guess i'm just quiteparanoid given the blood tests and lack of knowing what it is, and the number of symptoms i have!

sorry for the essay post :P

ReputationRep:
    If it was TSS they'd be able to diagnose it easily enough. But then again I wouldn't discount it until they specifically said 'well, it isn't TSS'. If you go there again maybe ask if you haven't?

I suggest wearing pads from now on if wearing tampons cause you pain.
    Also I have a lot of these symptoms too (from the sore throat to the muddling up speech to be precise), didn't occur to me that they were actual SYMPTOMS, just something that happened to everyone when on.

ReputationRep:
    If it's every month and only at that time, then I highly doubt it's TSS. It's something that is induced by tampon use but doesn't go away once you stop using the tampons. I'm not sure if you can get it mildly, it's always been implied to me it's pretty much always a hospital stay type illness. So if it's recurring rather than chronic, it's probably something else period related

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your paranoid at all you should see when I am ill.
    I'd advice you to go to your doctor/hospital and tell them how you feel or think about out what it is.
    Don't feel embarrassed, Better safe than sorry.
    I hope you get well soon and hopefully it will not be TSS.

(Original post by Rheadrox)
    If it was TSS they'd be able to diagnose it easily enough. But then again I wouldn't discount it until they specifically said 'well, it isn't TSS'. If you go there again maybe ask if you haven't?

I suggest wearing pads from now on if wearing tampons cause you pain.
    Also I have a lot of these symptoms too (from the sore throat to the muddling up speech to be precise), didn't occur to me that they were actual SYMPTOMS, just something that happened to everyone when on.
    yeah i'm gonna ask about it when i go back, it didn't occur to me before, but yeah haha. the thing with the symptoms is they are genuinely making me feel ill all the time, i can never shake it, and i'm practically constantly in pain in weird ways. i know of course i muddle up speech and stuff anyways, but this is in a way that's unusual for me haha, and being clumsy and dropping and breaking things and walking into things. it's all unusual behaviour for me, just over the last month or two, even when i'm not on, which is why it concerns me! the little things occasionally wouldn't bother me, just it's all the time and i rarely feel well these days and looking to find out what's actually wrong!

didn't want to discount this, nor do i want to say it is this, just wanna find out some more info possibly from people who had same situation it's pretty dangerous i remember being told about it, and can be deadly. i am such a paranoid person :P

(Original post by Eloise987)
    If it's every month and only at that time, then I highly doubt it's TSS. It's something that is induced by tampon use but doesn't go away once you stop using the tampons. I'm not sure if you can get it mildly, it's always been implied to me it's pretty much always a hospital stay type illness. So if it's recurring rather than chronic, it's probably something else period related
    yeah thing is, it doesn't go away haha. some of them are worse when i'm on, but most of them are all the time, i can't shake it at all and permanently feel ill. i'm not one to go to the doctors unless i absolutely have to, so when i went in the first place i was feeling pretty bad, barely managed to cycle there haha!

yeah iheard about the hospital thing, but i heard it was just that you had to be admitted for the treatment. i'd rather not have it though so any reasonwhy it wouldnt be would be great!!

the muscle aches, dizziness, headache, confusion, clumsiness, stomach ache etc happen several times a day, though the stomach aches have become less frequent, the others are pretty permanent throughout the month

ReputationRep:
    all of the symptoms you have (with the exception of the temperature) are common during peoples periods, although you'd be unlucky to get them all, don't read too much into it but ask when you see the doctor

edit: just read that is constant, but still could be nothing more than an allergy (it's what my doctor told me, im not convinced but still)

if they thought you had something serious, they would have told you to go to the nearest hospital/doctors for the test, if you are just having an (apparently) non-urgent blood test its not something to worry about

also if your temperature gets above 102 again try to see a doctor or pharmacist to see if the can do anything or at least tell someone, if it gets to 104 then that's dangerous (you should be 37/38 normally, if not then adjust accordingly)

oh, and when you find out what it is could you let us know, if you don't mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeah thing is, it doesn't go away haha. some of them are worse when i'm on, but most of them are all the time, i can't shake it at all and permanently feel ill. i'm not one to go to the doctors unless i absolutely have to, so when i went in the first place i was feeling pretty bad, barely managed to cycle there haha!

yeah iheard about the hospital thing, but i heard it was just that you had to be admitted for the treatment. i'd rather not have it though so any reasonwhy it wouldnt be would be great!!

the muscle aches, dizziness, headache, confusion, clumsiness, stomach ache etc happen several times a day, though the stomach aches have become less frequent, the others are pretty permanent throughout the month
    Okay so it's chronic? I just think it doesn't sound severe enough. Most people who contract TSS end up comatose and in intensive care, it's something that quickly takes hold of the individual, it's not something you'd have for several months. So stop worrying about it being that, and just make sure you go back for those extra tests as soon as you can. It sounds like a blood disorder but I'm no doctor so don't take my word for it at all haha.

ReputationRep:
    Not toxic shock syndrome, its just bad periods your having....if you had real TSS, u would be VERY ill (can be fatal), and its extremely unlikely to happen everytime you have your period. I know its ****ty, but id not use tampons if they cause you discomfort, but wear pads.
    Also, doctor > TSR and id use internet with extreme caution, anyone could go on right now and self diagnose with a multitutide of things and get really worked up or worried ( like you )

yeah thing is, it doesn't go away haha. some of them are worse when i'm on, but most of them are all the time, i can't shake it at all and permanently feel ill.
    I'm not an expert, but I think TSS kills you without treatment.

Go back and see your doctor if this is chronic.

Right, well I know that it's most common through use of tampons etc, and it's bacterial, and i've been through the symptoms online and read some stuff about it. I have several of the symptoms, but does anyone know what the most common ones are?

i found these are the general symptoms:

* high fever (greater than 102° Fahrenheit [38.8° Celsius])
      * rapid drop in blood pressure (with lightheadedness or fainting)
      * sunburn-like rash on the entire body
      * vomiting and diarrhea
      * severe muscle aches or weakness
      * bright red coloring of the eyes, throat, and vagina
      * headache, confusion, disorientation, or seizures
      * kidney and other organ failure

i have several of these: i.e. sudden high fevers, particularly at that time of the month, sore throat particularly at that time of the month, dizziness and light headedness past what is normal, stomach aches (i very very rarely vomit), severe muscle aches, complete lack of energy and sutff, and really bad headaches, also been very clumsy and sometimes confused, muddling up speech etc. also had some severe discomfort when wearing tampons e.g. sometimes hard to sit down, or to stand up straight and walk, and i know i'm using them right as been using them for years (i know people don't wanna know this but i'm all paranoid!)

i found that it's a blood problem, i recently went to the doctors, and they did blood tests for anemia, as thought it could be this, but they dont know what's the problem, because my red blood count was fine, and the doctor i spoke to on the phone was told i needed to be tested for something else but he wasn't sure what it meant or what the connection was. i've been unable to go back as of yet cos of the snow and being too far away etc.

does anyone know any more about it? thoughts or anything? or know anyone who's had it and what the main symptoms are etc?

guess i'm just quiteparanoid given the blood tests and lack of knowing what it is, and the number of symptoms i have!

sorry for the essay post :P
      AS carpe said, you'd be bloody ill with toxic shock syndrome and without IV antibioitcs very urgently would die.

It aint recurrent TSS!!!!!

(Original post by Carpediemxx)
      Not toxic shock syndrome, its just bad periods your having....if you had real TSS, u would be VERY ill (can be fatal), and its extremely unlikely to happen everytime you have your period. I know its ****ty, but id not use tampons if they cause you discomfort, but wear pads.
      Also, doctor > TSR and id use internet with extreme caution, anyone could go on right now and self diagnose with a multitutide of things and get really worked up or worried ( like you )
      haha, thanks, it's kinda good to hear it's likely not to be TSS, i just posted this thread as i didn't know much about it and wandered if anyone else did. i know doctor's opinion would be better, but like i said, i've had no way of getting to my doctor, just wanted more information at the moment tbh.

ps. it isn't just bad periods, i have had 'em for years too, and i always get them bad, this isn't just periods, it's an illness, just trying to find out what it is haha, maybe just the fact they're bad too isn't helping

(Original post by Eloise987)
      Okay so it's chronic? I just think it doesn't sound severe enough. Most people who contract TSS end up comatose and in intensive care, it's something that quickly takes hold of the individual, it's not something you'd have for several months. So stop worrying about it being that, and just make sure you go back for those extra tests as soon as you can. It sounds like a blood disorder but I'm no doctor so don't take my word for it at all haha.
      this is what i've had difficulty finding online, what it's like when people contract TSS, how they would know etc, glad to be finding it's most likely not going to be this! haha thanks

ReputationRep:
      haha, thanks, it's kinda good to hear it's likely not to be TSS, i just posted this thread as i didn't know much about it and wandered if anyone else did. i know doctor's opinion would be better, but like i said, i've had no way of getting to my doctor, just wanted more information at the moment tbh.

ps. it isn't just bad periods, i have had 'em for years too, and i always get them bad, this isn't just periods, it's an illness, just trying to find out what it is haha, maybe just the fact they're bad too isn't helping

this is what i've had difficulty finding online, what it's like when people contract TSS, how they would know etc, glad to be finding it's most likely not going to be this! haha thanks

"With proper treatment, patients usually recover in two to three weeks. The condition can, however, be fatal within hours."

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.