Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

500 Days Of Summer Watch

ReputationRep:
    Really quite liked the film and it was a great soundtrack - sweet disposition <3

Anyone like the film? Thought he would get with summer in the end but:/

Any more indie/kind of films like this?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen it but Us by Regina Spektor is the main soundtrack if I'm correct? must say its an awesome song

I quite liked the film, liked Zooey of course and I discovered a few songs through it as well (including 'Sweet Disposition' like you!). As for similar films, Big Fish, Forest Gump and Amelie (especially) spring to mind.

ReputationRep:
      The soundtrack is really good.. maybe its because I'm a huge Smiths fan

I recommend Garden State

ReputationRep:
      Loved that Ikea played a part of the story

ReputationRep:
      Ya, I loved it. The ending was probably my favorite part because it was so non-conventional but is a regular occurrence in everyone's love life. He finds the right girl in the end, anyways.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is indie and has very similar themes if you haven't already seen it. It has a good soundtrack, too.

ReputationRep:
      A great film! One of my favourites.

ReputationRep:
      :heart:

I enjoyed the film too..It was a little sad he didnt get Summer at then end but atleast it was a happy ending when he meets the other girl.

Joseph looked soooo good :love:

ReputationRep:
      I've not watched it but looks similarly good:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by When will I know?)
      I've not watched it but looks similarly good:

No. Just no.

ReputationRep:
      Great film and great soundtrack

ReputationRep:
      It's a great film not to mention the fantastic soundtrack!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Billydodger)
      No. Just no.
      I'm afraid I have to agree.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Billydodger)
      No. Just no.
      ha..

I've not even watched it (yet)..but okay

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amandacalifornia)
      He finds the right girl in the end, anyways.
      Is this sarcasm? I think the film clearly implies that JGL (Tom, I think) will make all the same mistakes with Autumn as he did with Summer.
      Very good film, though it would be much better without Moretz's character. Precocious kids in films very rarely work.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MrCarmady)
      Is this sarcasm? I think the film clearly implies that JGL (Tom, I think) will make all the same mistakes with Autumn as he did with Summer.
      Very good film, though it would be much better without Moretz's character. Precocious kids in films very rarely work.
      Totally disagree. Summer tells Tom at the end that he was right about love and fate, just not about her. Before he meets Autumn, the narrator implies something will change his life that day. Then when he meets Autumn at the end and they find out they love that same spot in downtown LA, while he's walking away from her, he thinks what he's learned from his relationship with Summer is it's just a coincidence and nothing more. Then he changes his mind about its cosmic significance and goes back and asks her out.

The graphic with Autumn's timeline isn't just a tree like it was with Summer. A bright sun appears, the tree sprouts flowers and there are birds. Even if he and Autumn don't work out, I think there's definitely an implication things will be better with her.

I think the message of the movie isn't that Tom was wrong, just that Summer wasn't right for him.

ReputationRep:
      I wasn't so sure about it the first time I watched it, but have watched it again since and really love it (especially the IKEA scene :love:). As for the soundtrack, the songs aren't something I would normally go and listen to myself but I have to say I do really like it :yes:

ReputationRep:
      I wish there was 500 days of summer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amandacalifornia)
      Totally disagree. Summer tells Tom at the end that he was right about love and fate, just not about her. Before he meets Autumn, the narrator implies something will change his life that day. Then when he meets Autumn at the end and they find out they love that same spot in downtown LA, while he's walking away from her, he thinks what he's learned from his relationship with Summer is it's just a coincidence and nothing more. Then he changes his mind about its cosmic significance and goes back and asks her out.

The graphic with Autumn's timeline isn't just a tree like it was with Summer. A bright sun appears, the tree sprouts flowers and there are birds. Even if he and Autumn don't work out, I think there's definitely an implication things will be better with her.

I think the message of the movie isn't that Tom was wrong, just that Summer wasn't right for him.
      I don't remember the graphic, but the implication is that the fact that they love the same spot in downtown LA is just as shallow a connection as the fact that Tom and Summer love The Smiths. Maybe it's just me and maybe I need to re-watch it (I will soon enough), but I don't think Tom is any wiser at the end of the relationship than at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
      Yep a great film, love the guy's dance after having had sex =]

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.