Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confused by people I used to go to school with Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I finished year eleven, I left school and went to college instead to take my A-levels. I'm now in upper sixth and I and most of my friends are applying to universities, as you would expect.

But almost none of the people I went to school with are applying. Most of them now work in catering or in shops, or are doing courses like "electrical installation level 1" or "child management level 2" (whatever that means).

When we talk about things they don't really seem to have very much to say about their futures; they don't seem to have plans or ambitions like they had just a year earlier. Most of them were fairly intelligent and got decent grades. They seem more interested in getting drunk, doing soft drugs and messing about than they are about having a career.

One particularly odd example is that of a (barely) seventeen year old girl I had quite a few classes with; she was quite shy and reserved, always got good grades. She's now seven months pregnant with the child of some waster who works in a warehouse. :facepalm2:

It just seems odd to me that people can seemingly have so much potential and ambition, yet are willing to throw it away.

Is anyone else in a similar posistion? :confused:

It feels quite awkward and odd.

ReputationRep:
    That's sad. But not everyone has the same ambitions. If they're happy...?

Depends on a lot of things I suppose -- what the school is like, encouragement from family, the values that were installed in them, support from people around them.

ReputationRep:
    I think its strange now im back from uni for Christmas and seeing people from school and college that have just left and not gone on to higher education
    I feel like I've experienced more by moving away and living on my own and stuff.... alot of them dont even have jobs... bet then again a fair few have children.
    (not that having kids at a young age is bad.. my mum was 19 when she had me and my bestfriend is at college and has a kid)

I just think its weird.... different ambitions I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Im the same there was a group of about 10 people from my year I thought would go to university and get great jobs, one of them got pregnant, one of them impregnated another girl, 2 of them work at new look together full time (yaaaay ?), one went college for a year dropped out, when to go a teaching qualification, dropped out again and now lives on benefits, one of them did amazing at GCSE and couldn’t even get good enough grades to go to uni from BTEC national diploma i don’t think i need to carry on lol basics of it is that it happens, not everybody is as ambitions at the rest of us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    That's sad. But not everyone has the same ambitions. If they're happy...?

Depends on a lot of things I suppose -- what the school is like, encouragement from family, the values that were installed in them, support from people around them.
    The school was a fairly average comprehensive, so not exactly the breeding ground of Russell Group hopefuls. I suppose most of them were upper working class (I think I'm probably more middle-middle) so I would of thought they would be aspirational, want to better themselves etc.

It does seem a shame that they had so much ambition that has just vanished, though

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree, when I see/speak to anyone from my primary school now, I literally have nothing in common with them and they seem to have their lives mapped out for them to follow in their parents' footsteps and have little to no ambition of doing anything else. Same with people who left our school after year 11, they have jobs and the like but they seem to have missed out on so much by not getting the university experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.