Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any significance (facebook)? Watch

I know I'm a loser and this may be a stupid question, but humour me please
    Soo yesterday afternoon I got a facebook invite from someone. Never ever spoken to them, haven't seen them and vice versa for over a year, were in the same english class for one year, and have only 7 mutual friends. Both now at uni/gone separate ways from school. What I'm asking, is if there's any significance of them adding me when we literally don't know each other at all. And incase you're wondering why I'm asking this pathetic joke of a question... yes, I did silently admire their ****ing GORGEOUSNESS all that time ago.

bump

ReputationRep:
    I knew I could answer the question with no after just reading the thread title. Significance & Facebook :noway:

It could mean something. Maybe this person secretly admired your gorgeousness from afar as well. Maybe not, and s/he is just sending out random invites, as people do on Facebook so often. Just accept, and see where it goes?

ReputationRep:
    http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le...diqvo1_400.jpg

I think it's just facebook is viewed as a numbers game, people trying to add anyone they're vaguely connected to in the hope of seeming more popular to the outside world.

Hope this helps

edit: oh sorry, read the bit about the gorgeousness. erm, they must have been pretty gorgeous for 7 years of admiration! well, fingers crossed, who knows? just post on their wall and see what happens? you've got nothing to lose. unfortunately i can't dissect from what you've told me about their feelings towards you.

ReputationRep:
    try talking to them

But they hardly have any friends (~200) and have only added me in the past week... I THINK IT'S WEIRD.

Yeah you are probably all right, no significance. I think I was just clutching at straws :sad:

(Original post by i.student)
    no but ur walking right into it.
    Walking right into what?

ReputationRep:
    It's only ****ing facebook for ****s sake.
    By accepting a friend request, you aren't marrying them or anything........jesus christ.
    ACCEPT IT. THEY ADDED YOU. YOU WON'T LOOK CRAZY.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, did you ever speak to this person in person? If not, don't flatter yourself, no significance.

(Original post by Jamainglish)
    Depends, did you ever speak to this person in person? If not, don't flatter yourself, no significance.
    No, nevarrr. Ok I have now accepted it and also accepted it's non significance. Sometimes I just need an e-slap...

ReputationRep:
    If you ever need proof that you are socially inept, just look back at this thread :top:
    It's facebook, it's not a social life you sad act.

ReputationRep:
    i had some random girl add me just because i liked her comment :|
    but heey, try fbook chatting or leaving them a wallpost, you never know what might come of it

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.