Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I couldn't relate to Inception... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Inception was possibly the biggest film of two-thousand-and-ten, yet I have one major problem with it and its concept.

I do not dream, so I was completely lost within the world of the film. When they explored levels of dreams, it completely bamboozled me as nothing made sense. It simply didn't connect with me. I feel that this a complete flaw within the film as it fails to relate to us non-dreamers who only see the darkness, the unrelenting darkness.

Did anybody feel this also? I would like to hear your opinions.

And I also think Leo Di Caprio's role would have been better played my Michael Cera, due to the wonder of the tale.

You don't dream eh? :shifty: Do you not have an imagination either? :dunce:

It's pretty obvious from trailers, posters, advertising, synopsis that this is a film based around the idea of dreams and dreaming - and you still went and seen it. And it's not like Inception or any of the 'rules' within each level are real hence why they are explained to the audience.

That's sort of like despising violence but going to seen Rambo.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Concern'd Viewer)
      Inception was possibly the biggest film of two-thousand-and-ten, yet I have one major problem with it and its concept.

I do not dream, so I was completely lost within the world of the film. When they explored levels of dreams, it completely bamboozled me as nothing made sense. It simply didn't connect with me. I feel that this a complete flaw within the film as it fails to relate to us non-dreamers who only see the darkness, the unrelenting darkness.

And I also think Leo Di Caprio's role would have been better played my Michael Cera, due to the wonder of the tale.
      Scientifically proved: everybody dreams. See REM stage.

ReputationRep:
      two-thousand-and-ten
      * twenty-ten

ReputationRep:
      I don't choose what me and my workmates see. It's by popular vote, because we believe in democracy.

ReputationRep:
      Michael Cera is fine for indie and off the wall films (even if he is always the same character)....but no, I honestly could not see him mincing around surrounded by crashing buildings and a psycho Marion Cotillard...

but yeah, why did you go see it? I mean, everyone knew it was about dreams..

ReputationRep:
      Is the Michael Cera thing supposed to be a joke? Because if it is it's a bad one.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      You don't dream eh? Do you have an imagination? Imagine a world which feels real but is, ultimately, not real - something which is sustained by the imagination.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious from trailers, posters, advertising, synopsis that this is a film based around the idea of dreams and dreaming - and you still went and seen it. It wasn't supposed to relate to ... non-dreamers.

That's sort of like despising violence but going to seen Rambo.
      I prefer Chuck Norris.:cool: He was my sensei.

ReputationRep:
      i can't see millions of people relating to avatar either but its still a great film
      i didnt have a clue what was going on for a fair bit of inception but i still think its one of the best films this year

ReputationRep:
      Not amusing.

Everyone dreams.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
      I prefer Chuck Norris.:cool: He was my sensei.
      Chuck Norris wears Concern'd Viewer pyjamas

ReputationRep:
      It's just a straightforward heist film, really - the fact that they are dreaming can largely be ignored, and you can just tag along for the ride.

ReputationRep:
      True, but in normal heists, you don't wake up after falling over.

ReputationRep:
      :troll:?

ReputationRep:
      Just try to understand that when you dream it is often hard to determine whether you are dreaming or not. The further you get into a dream the divide between what is real and what is fantasy lessens.

ReputationRep:
      -
      I dream about everything and nothing, my imagination is nuts.

For some reason I always get annoyed when watching movies about dreams, religion or life after death (if it seems like someone's taking the topic seriously, cause All Dogs Go To Heaven is mint). I think that beliefs about the subconscience are different for everyone, and to me everyone elses ideas on it are rather dull compared to mine.

ReputationRep:
      I just see black.

ReputationRep:

You realise this is real life, right?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

You have 7 dreams a night. Most you do not remeber. Of course you dream. Everyone does. If you did not than you would likely go insane

ReputationRep:
      Inception isn't about relating to people, it's about making a film that is soooooo mindboggling that you have to watch it again and again to understand it.

And I don't think Cera would of done a good job specially with a character like Cobb

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.