Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    okay, so i'm currently in the middle of getting together my application to kent for their MA in creative writing. kent's creative writing department specifically ask for a 300 word paragraph on my creative writing plans, and my experience. i've written this paragraph and am just getting together my writing sample. this all forms a document that is submitted separately from the information in the main form.

the problem then is, in the main application form, there's a separate box called 'reasons for study'. the only guidance that they give is this:

"What your reasons for wanting to study your chosen course are"

no guidelines on length. i just have no idea what they want from me. i went to the university careers service about this sort of thing at the end of the last term, and though they were nice to talk to they didn't have any sample postgraduate applications for the humanities at all, and so i'm not really any better off. and i don't understand what I should write that's different to my 300 word statement about my creative writing plans – the admissions are mostly based upon the writing sample, anyway, and i feel i've said most of the stuff that's important.

any ideas?! even if just to hit me over the head and tell me to look at another website that i didn't find when googling (all i found was thestudentroom).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigrrmilk)
    okay, so i'm currently in the middle of getting together my application to kent for their MA in creative writing. kent's creative writing department specifically ask for a 300 word paragraph on my creative writing plans, and my experience. i've written this paragraph and am just getting together my writing sample. this all forms a document that is submitted separately from the information in the main form.

the problem then is, in the main application form, there's a separate box called 'reasons for study'. the only guidance that they give is this:

"What your reasons for wanting to study your chosen course are"

no guidelines on length. i just have no idea what they want from me. i went to the university careers service about this sort of thing at the end of the last term, and though they were nice to talk to they didn't have any sample postgraduate applications for the humanities at all, and so i'm not really any better off. and i don't understand what I should write that's different to my 300 word statement about my creative writing plans – the admissions are mostly based upon the writing sample, anyway, and i feel i've said most of the stuff that's important.

any ideas?! even if just to hit me over the head and tell me to look at another website that i didn't find when googling (all i found was thestudentroom).
    I don't know be creative ?

I think they want to know your career plan and how your degree fit into your current CV towards achieving your plan. Normally you should repeat or extend something you have already said in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Briefly write about why you want to study an MA in Creative Writing at Kent. Are there any lecturers that made you apply to Kent? what modules of the MA attracted you?

Whilst it will be difficult to avoid overlapping with what you've already written, try to emphasise the MA.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably use that to talk specifically about the aspects of the course that appealed to me - any plans you have for projects that might fit particular modules, maybe, or activities they run/publications that you would like to be involved with? I suppose you could look at it like this: in the 300 word statement, your experience looks at the past, and your plans presumably look at the longer-term future as well as any elements of your immediate project. 300 words = not much space for all that. So the other section is a chance to talk about the immediate future?

(Also, I was thinking of going to see that same careers service, so rather sad to hear they're not actually able to help much. Oh dear...)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.