Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why not make MP3s cheaper to combat illegal downloading? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, the standard is around 80p to £1 per song. If you wanted to buy a selection of songs that have taken your fancy, say five songs - that's £5, that a lot of people don't have to throw around.

If the music industry could offer safe, secure, high quality MP3s at say 10p to 20p each, then I think they may convert a few of the illegal downloaders or people who don't wish to pay £1 a song and would rather listen to it on Spotify.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    No **** sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    Still,
    Downloading is cheaper, so why pay 20p?
    And then,
    If they drop it to that price, they'd lose alot more revenue as profit margin has decreased sooo much.

ReputationRep:
    The music industry will set prices in order to maximise profits.

ReputationRep:
    Even then, I think most people who download for free would continue to do so. 0p is still more attractive than 10p.

I would have thought a better idea might be to offer free downloads of the music on official websites or reputable environments such as iTunes, in return for looking at a few adverts to generate profits. People would prefer to do that than download music off dodgy websites which could be full of malware. They might even see adverts for merchandise or concert tickets of their favourite band.

It would basically be the same principle as record labels letting you watch their music videos for free on YouTube - they just make you watch an advert first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    I mean, the standard is around 80p to £1 per song. If you wanted to buy a selection of songs that have taken your fancy, say five songs - that's £5, that a lot of people don't have to throw around.

If the music industry could offer safe, secure, high quality MP3s at say 10p to 20p each, then I think they may convert a few of the illegal downloaders or people who don't wish to pay £1 a song and would rather listen to it on Spotify.

Thoughts?
    Well you do have a point. Perhaps music fans could be offered a discount if they buy 5 or more songs, and a further discount if they buy 10 or more songs, etc.

The problem is that people would still download illegally because they just would. So the music industry would need to work together with ISPs and computer manufacturers, perhaps to make illegal downloading impossible by making ALL mp3s copy protected. ISPs could also send out warning letters or fines to anyone who tries to breach the system and listen to mp3s they haven't paid for.

It would take a big effort and a lot of cooperation between the music industry and the computer/internet industry, but it could be done if they got their heads together and actually tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    Well you do have a point. Perhaps music fans could be offered a discount if they buy 5 or more songs, and a further discount if they buy 10 or more songs, etc.

The problem is that people would still download illegally because they just would. So the music industry would need to work together with ISPs and computer manufacturers, perhaps to make illegal downloading impossible by making ALL mp3s copy protected. ISPs could also send out warning letters or fines to anyone who tries to breach the system and listen to mp3s they haven't paid for.

It would take a big effort and a lot of cooperation between the music industry and the computer/internet industry, but it could be done if they got their heads together and actually tried.
    Where is the basis or incentive for ISPs to play a role in enforcement though? It doesn't matter to them whether people use network capacity to download illegally or legally.

It's fairly obvious that technical methods of enforcement don't work either. Just look at DVDs with CSS, BluRay with AACS, Xbox games, whatever you like; they all get cracked.

Illegal downloading is impossible to stop. 0p is still cheaper than 5p per song so it won't stop it or even reduce it.

ReputationRep:
      Your theory is flawed, for many reasons. Who, back in the day (before limewire, kazaa, ares) would actually go out and "buy" CD's, per person? Nobody. Think about it. The way it went was, one person would buy it, and some how, that CD over the months/years would float around being exchanged through several different hands.

Another example is... (again, pre-P2P times) back in the day, blank cassettes were the bomb, especially when it came to hitting record when your favourite song started playing on the radio, and this was happening at the peak of the music industry and it did nothing to harm it.

So, really?... Nothing has changed from then and now. Out went cassestes and the radio, in came P2P and YouTube.

Until they get rid of Souljarr Boys, Justin Beavers and Baby Ga-Ga's, and everything else the industry is infected with these days... It will never stop. And I hope the industry crashes. They are no longer needed for people to get (good) music anymore. That may have been back in the day, but not in the era of the internet.

/rant.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Beadle's About)
      So the music industry would need to work together with ISPs and computer manufacturers, perhaps to make illegal downloading impossible by making ALL mp3s copy protected. ISPs could also send out warning letters or fines to anyone who tries to breach the system and listen to mp3s they haven't paid for.
      You wanna call in the army while your at it? Jeez. 'de 'ell is 'rong with you? That's probably the last thing you could offer to a corporation, government or system to **** with the little privacy anyone has left and turn the Internet into a facist totalitarian, monitoring machine.

I mean full offense when I say this. People like you should be shot.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
      well...firstly 10 to 20p i think would be wayyy too cheap for the music producers and artists etc and probably would not be financially viable for them at all, and secondly converting 'a few' illegal downloaders is, i assume, not a risk artists would want to take, habits such as illegal downloading tend to remain, its very hard to get out of such habits, its almost become like a kinda 'normal thing' for ppl nowadays....and at the current prices, the loyal legal mp3 buyers that do pay the asked prices, are probly passing on enuff money to artists to keep not only the artists happy but also to allow illegal downloading to carry on as it is, if not then im sure artists wud hav clamped down on illegal downloading a lot more than they hav in the past, by now.........but yeh, i just dont think it wud be financially viable, not at 10p anyway ... too cheap.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
      Unless it's cheaper than FREE, it ain't gonna work.

ReputationRep:
      To be fair, I wouldn't even pay a penny for an MP3. If I'm spending money I want something tangible in exchange.

ReputationRep:
      To me BandCamp is something i would like to see more of in the future.. Artists promote themselves and you can get a high quality audio format for a relatively cheap price something like 65p
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by VeeProd)
      To me BandCamp is something i would like to see more of in the future.. Artists promote themselves and you can get a high quality audio format for a relatively cheap price something like 65p
      Bandcamp is awesome - artists set their own prices, and the model of free streaming and the option to buy is excellent IMO (and ought to suit the pirates who claim to download to see if they like it and buy it if they do)

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.