Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    --------

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if this is any help, but it's probably got a few links and info.

http://www.connexions-direct.com/job...ContentID=1757

ReputationRep:
    You might want to try posting a free ad on gumtree, getafreelancer.com or odesk.com.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's quite a lot of talented people on oDesk. An alternative would be to look in the show off my website thread here and try and contact people? You're likely to get it quite a bit cheaper than if you go for someone in the industry. Obviously look at the portfolios they link though.

It might be worth going for a web development company as well, over a freelancer. They'll have more established procedures, offer more security (from a business, not technical perspective), etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    Hi.

Next year I want to open my own online store website

My web inspirations are:

www.shopnastygal.com

http://www.forever21.com/UK/Product/Index.aspx?BR=F21

http://www.my-wardrobe.com/womenswear

Could you recommend anyone?

How much would I roughly need?

Any further information?

I have the stock, graphics,photography and advertising side of my business sorted however I'm clueless about web developing!

HELP!

Not sure if you still need help but i recently launched my own business online and created a website myself relatively easy - if you like pm me or quote me and i can help you out x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen)
    Hi.

Next year I want to open my own online store website

My web inspirations are:

www.shopnastygal.com

http://www.forever21.com/UK/Product/Index.aspx?BR=F21

http://www.my-wardrobe.com/womenswear

Could you recommend anyone?

How much would I roughly need?

Any further information?

I have the stock, graphics,photography and advertising side of my business sorted however I'm clueless about web developing!

HELP!
    The stock, graphics and photography are, at best, nearing 1 or 2% of what you need to start a business. Since you are going to be an online retailer competing against other established online retailers with teams of experienced developers and designers benefiting from economies of scale, you really need to do your research on this one.

I'm guessing that if you're on TSR asking for web designers then you may not have what it takes to set up an online retailer currently. People underestimate how hard it is because in times gone by it was relatively simple and profitable quite quickly... Nowadays, however, there is so much competition and so much market saturation that, especially for the little guy, it's hard to get an edge.

I'd re-evaluate and get some proper business planning advice. Either way, good luck .

edit: Oh and just as an aside, the websites you listed will have definitely have cost thousands and very possibly tens of thousands of pounds. Even higher if you take in the wages of all of the people employed to keep it running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron.F)
    The stock, graphics and photography are, at best, nearing 1 or 2% of what you need to start a business. Since you are going to be an online retailer competing against other established online retailers with teams of experienced developers and designers benefiting from economies of scale, you really need to do your research on this one.

I'm guessing that if you're on TSR asking for web designers then you may not have what it takes to set up an online retailer currently. People underestimate how hard it is because in times gone by it was relatively simple and profitable quite quickly... Nowadays, however, there is so much competition and so much market saturation that, especially for the little guy, it's hard to get an edge.

I'd re-evaluate and get some proper business planning advice. Either way, good luck .

edit: Oh and just as an aside, the websites you listed will have definitely have cost thousands and very possibly tens of thousands of pounds. Even higher if you take in the wages of all of the people employed to keep it running.
    This.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.