Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can i make my flatmate's drama go away? Watch

So i started uni this year, moved into halls and became good friends with this girl, let's call her Sarah. And then there's a guy in the flat who i instantly fancied and got a crush on, let's call him Mark. In late October Sarah found out about my crush on Mark and we had a bit of a joke about it, and she told me then that she didn't really understand the attraction because he 'wasn't her type', and she already liked someone from back home.

Anyway, Sarah started hanging around with Mark more, and flirting with him which didn't make much sense, and seemed to make him feel awkward. Then in November Mark started up a relationship with a girl in the flat next to ours. I was obviously a bit about it, but whatever. She started coming round to our flat more and me and his girlfriend are now friends and she's pretty nice.

So my crush on Mark started to fade away, and i began to like another guy on my course. My problem from then on though has been Sarah's complete obsession over Mark - she manages to bring him up in most of the conversations we have - which is obviously difficult. She says all this strange stuff about him, saying his girlfriend doesn't treat him as well as she would, saying that she wants to look after him, saying that it's fate that they share the same flat...

At the start of December, Mark found out Sarah liked him, and said he wasn't interested because he had just started going out with the girl in the flat next door, and he also said he didn't fancy her. Despite this, Sarah still kept really boldy flirting with him, e.g when we were in the kitchen/tv area, she'd go and sit on his lap despite him trying to shove her off.

And then just before we left for Christmas break, we had a flat party, and everyone got drunk - and Sarah and Mark kissed (Mark's girlfriend had already gone home). So Sarah's sort of obsession with him has just got worse. Although i do think Mark has led her on a bit, since he's now visiting his girlfriend for Christmas and has said to me he only kissed her because he knew she'd kiss him back.

Just wondering how i could help to sort this situation out? I'm anticipating it being very awkward when we all go back after winter break... :/

There's five of us that live in the flat, but one of them is hardly ever there and the other one doesn't talk to/like Sarah, so i sort of feel like i should be on her side - but then she did keep flirting with him when she knew i liked him, and then when he got a girlfriend she still didn't back off. But then he did kiss her even though he doesn't like her idk... help?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like "Mark" is playing you all against each other :yes: Well played to him.

ReputationRep:
    Try and stay out of any hassle, don't take sides over something as trivial as fancying people.....plus does Sarah only fancy Mark because you fancied him? I'm dubious of people who do things like that. Or did you mean that she fancied him straightaway?

ReputationRep:
    Confront her about it, if she didn't change or back off let her learn the lesson by herself. And hopefully she'll realise she's on the wrong side.

ReputationRep:
    +1 for Mark he is doing his best for a first year

You have nothing to do with the drama so just buy popcorns and start watching.

ReputationRep:
    Mark is a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Stay well out of it. Trying to get involved to keep the peace will only backfire and they'll all end up making up and you'll be seen as the stirrer and trouble-maker. Just avoid saying anything or doing anything, just focus on your work and spend time with other people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.