Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend me a training programme Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, up until now I've been following the dreaded 'split' routines however through reading stickies, and just general googling I've realised Full Body workouts (or upper-lower splits and push-pull splits) are the way forward.
    My goals are to lose some excess fat and build muscle and I have made some progress in recent months with losing 5kg in around 2 months, however the love handles are yet to disappear so alot of work is still needed. I do do all of the core lifts, and gradually faded out most isolation exercises to focus on compound lifts.
    Stronglifts, SS and Bill Starrs, and some from Project Swole seem to be the most popular but just which one suits my goals the most?
    Also baring in mind time isn't really an issue (I have around 4-5 hours every week for the gym)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    Basically, up until now I've been following the dreaded 'split' routines however through reading stickies, and just general googling I've realised Full Body workouts (or upper-lower splits and push-pull splits) are the way forward.
    My goals are to lose some excess fat and build muscle and I have made some progress in recent months with losing 5kg in around 2 months, however the love handles are yet to disappear so alot of work is still needed. I do do all of the core lifts, and gradually faded out most isolation exercises to focus on compound lifts.
    Stronglifts, SS and Bill Starrs, and some from Project Swole seem to be the most popular but just which one suits my goals the most?
    Also baring in mind time isn't really an issue (I have around 4-5 hours every week for the gym)
    What are your current lifts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    What are your current lifts?
    Some consist of more than once a week, but all atleast weekly. This is about 90% of my weekly routine.
    Back squats, calf raises, deadlifts, barbell bench press (inc close grip for triceps), dips, weighted pullups, bent over rows, barbell curls, standing overhead press, alternating shoulder press.

ReputationRep:
    Some consist of more than once a week, but all atleast weekly. This is about 90% of my weekly routine.
    Back squats, calf raises, deadlifts, barbell bench press (inc close grip for triceps), dips, weighted pullups, bent over rows, barbell curls, standing overhead press, alternating shoulder press.
    I meant what sort of weights are you lifting? SS is always useful whatever level you're at, personally I'm a massive fan of WS4SB, but they're very different and so it depends where you're at what you're going to get most use out of for the short term.

ReputationRep:
    I meant what sort of weights are you lifting? SS is always useful whatever level you're at, personally I'm a massive fan of WS4SB, but they're very different and so it depends where you're at what you're going to get most use out of for the short term.
    Ah right. Sorry.
    Squats - 90kg
    Bench press - 60kg
    Deadlifts - 70kg
    Bent over Rows - 45kg
    Overhead Press - 35kg
    Pretty measly I know

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. Sorry.
    Squats - 90kg
    Bench Bress - 60kg
    Deadlifts - 70kg
    Bent over Rows - 45kg
    Overhead Press - 35kg
    Pretty measly I know
    Anything which involves the compound lifts is going to suit you, it just depends on what you enjoy and can stick at. SS or WS4SB would be useful to look at, of course there are other routines. The important thing is to stop thinking about it and just do it. Get in the gym and do your compound lifts, clean up your diet and do some light cardio, I guarantee a couple of months down the line you'll have results and then you can reassess.

ReputationRep:
    Anything which involves the compound lifts is going to suit you, it just depends on what you enjoy and can stick at. SS or WS4SB would be useful to look at, of course there are other routines. The important thing is to stop thinking about it and just do it. Get in the gym and do your compound lifts, clean up your diet and do some light cardio, I guarantee a couple of months down the line you'll have results and then you can reassess.
    Alright, thanks
    I've had a look and I was wondering if it would be possible to expand those programmes to 4 days? With Mon/Tue and then Thur/Fri as the gym days?

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with splits per se. A Chest/Shoulders, Back and Biceps and Legs split is pretty much a push/pull/legs split if you think about it. Don't spend too much time fretting about what these things are called.

Starting strength or Greyskull Barbell's LP program are good places to start, as is the starting strength wiki in terms of looking at your technique.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks
    I've had a look and I was wondering if it would be possible to expand those programmes to 4 days? With Mon/Tue and then Thur/Fri as the gym days?
    You shouldn't change anything. WS4SB is a four day program anyway.

ReputationRep:
    SS 3x5 or SL 5x5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duro)
    SS 3x5 or SL 5x5
    I agree with this guy, would personally do 5x5 till you can squat 1.5x your bodyweight

ReputationRep:
    5x5 strong lifts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by singhwon)
    I agree with this guy, would personally do 5x5 till you can squat 1.5x your bodyweight
    Thats around what I'm at now. I weigh 56-57 kg. Squatting 90kg at the moment. Also thanks for the advice everyone

ReputationRep:
    Thats around what I'm at now. I weigh 56-57 kg. Squatting 90kg at the moment. Also thanks for the advice everyone
    Thats a very low weight ... what height are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Thats a very low weight ... what height are you?
    Around 5"7-5"8

ReputationRep:
    Just choose one and go for it, good luck :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing as you are squatting more than you pull that you are either very short limbed or you are squatting very high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    I am guessing as you are squatting more than you pull that you are either very short limbed or you are squatting very high
    Well I started on SS today. The value I put down was way off. I was actually squatting 60kg. Before I was going parrallel but 60kg was what was required to go deep.
    Can I ask, I read the SS wiki, and progression tells me to add 10lbs (around 5kg) to the previous session squat. Is that similar to all exercises?

Edit: Not to worry, I found this
    For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.
    Thanks for the help everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.