Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How profitable would buying Olympic tickets and selling them later be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My Dad was telling me to sign them up for tickets online. He said that we could sell them for £1000-£2000. Can you really sell them for that much and where would you do that? Online? On eBay? Just to random foreigners?

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly the World Cup, I doubt anyone would pay that much to watch a bunch of athletes prance about.

ReputationRep:
    These are the olympics remember, a global multi-sporting event if not for thousands, you'd definetely be able to make a profit. Worst possible case scenario is that no one buys them and you have to go watch the olympics live your self. Hardly a loss though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have to go with...ah no

ReputationRep:
    1. You could try to sell your tickets online but my bet is that the Olympic organisers will link each ticket to a person and it won't be possible to trade it.
    2. The only events that will sell for hotcakes are the opening ceremony and the athletics on the day of the 100m final.

ReputationRep:
    He was mostly referring to the Opening Ceremony. Will they really be strictly linked to each person?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    It's not exactly the World Cup, I doubt anyone would pay that much to watch a bunch of athletes prance about.
    Not this again. :facepalm2:

The Olympics are bigger/more popular than the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you get tickets to the finals of the big events, there will be plenty going around for everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, it'll make you a total ****.

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends on the event. When I watch the olympics there are always loads of empty seats. Did you hear the story about the 'fans' paid by China to go and sit in the empty seats and cheer for all the participants in the last olympics?

Tbh, even if it was a popular enough event that you could sell them on, I don't think you'd get £1000 for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Not this again. :facepalm2:

The Olympics are bigger/more popular than the World Cup.
    Not in terms of demand for tickets, and this would be reflected in the prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Not in terms of demand for tickets, and this would be reflected in the prices.
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking just for the opening ceremony, then perhaps, but I really think that there will be a link system. And there will be a limit per household or something... I'll look on the website and get back...

EDIT: There isn't anything about it on the website, but I'm sure in an email I got about the tickets was something about tickets being ballotted and if you were picked you could buy a ticket, but I'm not sure if that was just for sports

BUT... for the opening ceremony, the cheapest tickets are £20.12, and then the next are £150... so can you imagine the seats you'd end up with for £20.12? They'd be pants. And unless you've got at least £300 to fork out for tickets, and risk not getting your money back on ebay then I don't think its a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    That's a ***** move, how about leaving the tickets to be bought by people who err, actually want to go?

ReputationRep:
    OP dont be a ****. people who do that are worse than rapists.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.