Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Poll: Who will make it big from the urban music scene in 2011? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who is gonna impact the mainstream and be in the charts? YOU CAN VOTE FOR MORE THAN 1
    Jessie J
    32.50%
    Yasmin
    10.00%
    Ed Sheeran
    12.50%
    Skepta
    35.00%
    Loick Essien
    12.50%
    Talay Riley
    0%
    Bashy
    7.50%
    Emeli Sande
    7.50%
    Wretch 32
    25.00%
    Griminal
    7.50%
    Jodie Connor
    7.50%
    JME
    10.00%
    Maverick Sabre
    7.50%
    Giggs
    20.00%
    Tempa T (Tempzzzzz)
    22.50%
    Other - please state
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    IE. who is gonna be in the top 40 and why?

Here is who I think and why:

1. Jessie J: She’s got an amazing voice and some amazing songs! Price Tag is number 1 material and I’ve got a couple of unleaked tracks by her which are equally as amazing!

2. Yasmin: She’s already signed and has got the voice, the looks, the writing skills… just about everything! On My Own will be big!

3. Loick Essien: He’s got some amazing tunes and its a shame he didn’t chart with Love Drunk. I reckon Stuttering will make the top 40 and he has some other awesome tracks such as All Around The World.

4. Ed Sheeran: You wouldn’t expect this little ginger guy to be one of the hottest talents in the grime scene but he is and deservedly so! He has broke the barriers of what certain people listen to and crated a unique niche in the market. What sets him apart from the rest is his ability to talk about themes that are real and relevant to everyday life of the regular person.

5. Bashy: With MCs such as Scorcher and Griminal being signed, I’m surprised Bashy is still independent! He’s had some massive tunes this year such as Fantasy and When The Sky Falls and could definitely see him following in the footsteps of Tinchy, Tinie etc.

6. Emeli Sande: She has been a highlight on just about every mainstream grime artists’ albums so its about time she released some of her own stuff! Her video about the student protests 'Breaking The Law' is AMAZING!

Special mention - Jodie Connor: her tracks are really poppy and she has an amazing voice too in her acoustic performances.

Other special mention - Talay Riley: The Sergeant Smash video is top notch and I've got some unleaked tracks by him which are really good including 'Make You Mine' which is awesome and the video of him recording it on youtube has loads of views.

ReputationRep:
    where is the poll?

ReputationRep:
    lol at "urban music scene"... so just black people right?

Do you just mean who's going to be the next N Dubz/Chipmunk/T Stryder/T Tempah etc?

ReputationRep:
    So who does everyone think and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    where is the poll?
    at the top. is it not there cos it is for me?!

ReputationRep:
    Jessie J - for all the reasons you've stated Lozza, and Skepta, because his debut Rescue Me was very new and catchy

ReputationRep:
    Skepta, Bashy and Giggs have already blown...

Wretch 32 and Griminal have blown, but not to the extent of the above 3.

Of the list, Jodie Connor will get large.

Maybe K Koke and Strapzy will get heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Skepta, Bashy and Giggs have already blown...

Wretch 32 and Griminal have blown, but not to the extent of the above 3.

Of the list, Jodie Connor will get large.

Maybe K Koke and Strapzy will get heard.
    I mean who will make it mainstream and be in the charts.

ReputationRep:
    I said get out the carrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Where is Devlin in that list?

:eek:

Devlin will break the US in 2011/2012.

ReputationRep:
    Skepta will blow the roof off in 2011, i hope more people learn about Lowkey, obviously hes not going to make the charts but should be recognised.
    frisco?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)

the world is going to end in 2012 so he better hurry up

ReputationRep:

Devlin already has had chart hits and you think he'll break america? I think Tinie & Chipmunk will but noone else that soon.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly why I hate UK music nowadays, it's ALL R&B... awful. We've had it all through 2010, and you're probably right, we'll have it all through 2011.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    Devlin already has had chart hits and you think he'll break america?
    Yeah - his lyrics and relation to real life issues put him above anything else on offer in the US today. I had to buy 4 copies of his album 'bud, sweat and beers' to take over for my friends in the US because they couldn't find it in any store over there and wanted a physical copy of his album rather than a torrent or downloaded copy.

Believe me, the real hip hop fans in the US will love him - a lot of them are sick of Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy and T Pain.

Its fair to say that UK Hip Hop/Rap music is on a much higher level than in the US at the moment. He is a relative unknown quantity in the US, through the media, but quite a lot of Americans have noticed his work on YouTube. Devlin will soon take off.

I think Tinie & Chipmunk will but noone else that soon.
    Tinie will - don't know about Chip Diddy Chip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    This is exactly why I hate UK music nowadays, it's ALL R&B... awful. We've had it all through 2010, and you're probably right, we'll have it all through 2011.
    There has been hardly any rnb?

Its all been dance and rap?

Name some rnb songs that have been big in the charts in 2010...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    It's not R&B though...

Yeah - his lyrics and relation to real life issues put him above anything else on offer in the US today. I had to buy 4 copies of his album 'bud, sweat and beers' to take over for my friends in the US because they couldn't find it in any store over there and wanted a physical copy of his album rather than a torrent or downloaded copy.

Believe me, the real hip hop fans in the US will love him - a lot of them are sick of Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy and T Pain.

Its fair to say that UK Hip Hop/Rap music is on a much higher level than in the US at the moment. He is a relative unknown quantity in the US, through the media, but quite a lot of Americans have noticed his work on YouTube. Devlin will soon take off.
    Real hip hop fans in the US won't... he flows too fast and they won't understand... the accent doesn't help either.

US >>> UK
    J Cole/Joe Budden > Anyone and everyone in the UK.

ReputationRep:

I think Tinie & Chipmunk will but noone else that soon.
    Tinie will - don't know about Chip Diddy Chip.[/QUOTE]

Fair point, he is on a much higher level lyrically but I don't know if they will like his flow/voice. And Chipmunk will because of this.

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait for Sways album in 2011, The Deliverance.

Saw him perform live and the guy is amazing.

Best three artists in the UK for me are

Kano, Sway and Devlin.

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait for Sways album in 2011, The Deliverance.

Saw him perform live and the guy is amazing.

Best three artists in the UK for me are

Kano, Sway and Devlin.
    Hmm I forgot to mention Sway. He is probably technically the best rapper in the UK but I think if he was going to make it, he would have done by now and Kano has had his time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.