Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok…

so im 20 yrs old and after doing my a levels, i went off to uni and started doing a maths degree, but i dropped uot after the first yr cos i hated the course. now, im thinking i should go into acca, cos that what i would have done after my maths degree anyway.

so there are some things that i wanted to know.

1. what is the best option for me, aat or acca?
    2. can someone please tell me specifically how much acca would cost if i decide to do it, im asking this cos i dont have the funding needed for acca at the moment.
    3. is there any sort of financial help availabe for the acca in the uk, if u start it right from the beginning?
    4. i had a look at the lsbf and bpp websites, i wanted to kno if the exam fees were included in the fees they charge or is that separate?
    5. i know how acca would take abt 5 yrs to complete, but how long does it take to do all 3 levels of the aat?
    6. how many and which papers would i be exempt from if i do acca after aat?
    7. would i still be elligible for the bsc in applied accounting if i do the aat?
    8. and is the bsc degree worth anything, since i read somewhere that it doesnt hold too much value in the accounting world?

please please please someone answer my questions, im very very stressed! please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saha01)
    ok…

so im 20 yrs old and after doing my a levels, i went off to uni and started doing a maths degree, but i dropped uot after the first yr cos i hated the course. now, im thinking i should go into acca, cos that what i would have done after my maths degree anyway.

so there are some things that i wanted to know.

Probably AAT.

2. can someone please tell me specifically how much acca would cost if i decide to do it, im asking this cos i dont have the funding needed for acca at the moment.
    Can't tell you specifically but you'll have course fees, exam entry fees, annual ACCA fees plus any resits.

3. is there any sort of financial help availabe for the acca in the uk, if u start it right from the beginning?
    Not as far as I know. You could get a trainee accountant job though and they'd pay for either AAT or ACCA.

4. i had a look at the lsbf and bpp websites, i wanted to kno if the exam fees were included in the fees they charge or is that separate?
    Exam fees are charged separately by ACCA.

5. i know how acca would take abt 5 yrs to complete, but how long does it take to do all 3 levels of the aat?
    ACCA doesn't have to take 5 years. 14 papers doing 4 a year (which is quite achievable) is only 3.5 years.

You could probably start AAT from intermediate level and skip the first level. Each level takes around a year anyway.

Only F1 - F3.

7. would i still be elligible for the bsc in applied accounting if i do the aat?
    Yes

8. and is the bsc degree worth anything, since i read somewhere that it doesnt hold too much value in the accounting world?
    Don't know what it's worth but surely better than no degree at all.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]1. what is the best option for me, aat or acca?

If you are confident about your ability and are serious about committing and finishing ACCA, then do ACCA straight off. All the AAT will do is waste time and money, so you get the same letters poorer and older. But if you're not, then AAT gives you the option of backing out and leaving with something. (I'd possibly consider CIMA/ACA first too as they have mid-way qualifications, ACCA is the only one where if you start and don't stick it through to the very end you come away with nothing.)

Don't trust us, look it up yourself on their websites. Two components to budget for are (1) ACCA exam fees/subscription plus (2) course fees/book for however you learn the stuff.

Not directly. You can get indirect funding through exemptions at a university or a FE course. Or employer.

Separate.

Typically 2. You can get to the same level far quicker with the ACCA direct.

3. If you're looking to make progress through the exams it's far quicker to do them with the ACCA direct.

Don't trust us, look it up yourself on their websites or ask them.

Not much. I don't think people who have a degree do it. I think it'd add something if you didn't have one, and would be worth doing the extra work involved for the piece of paper and letters.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=leederick;29105705]

If you are confident about your ability and are serious about committing and finishing ACCA, then do ACCA straight off. All the AAT will do is waste time and money, so you get the same letters poorer and older. But if you're not, then AAT gives you the option of backing out and leaving with something. (I'd possibly consider CIMA/ACA first too as they have mid-way qualifications, ACCA is the only one where if you start and don't stick it through to the very end you come away with nothing.)

Don't trust us, look it up yourself on their websites. Two components to budget for are (1) ACCA exam fees/subscription plus (2) course fees/book for however you learn the stuff.

Not directly. You can get indirect funding through exemptions at a university or a FE course. Or employer.

Separate.

Typically 2. You can get to the same level far quicker with the ACCA direct.

3. If you're looking to make progress through the exams it's far quicker to do them with the ACCA direct.

Don't trust us, look it up yourself on their websites or ask them.

Not much. I don't think people who have a degree do it. I think it'd add something if you didn't have one, and would be worth doing the extra work involved for the piece of paper and letters.
    thankyou for the reply...

could you please elaborate a bit on ur answer to no.3? i didnt fully understand that.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You won't get funding to do ACCA courses directly. However, some HE/Degree courses (check their website for the list) will grant you exemptions from some ACCA exams. So you can get funding for this course, get entitled to an exemption, and claim the pass by paying an exemption fee (typically the same as the cost the the exam).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.