Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to start a career as a diplomat so I think it's better to study ppe. Is there anyone in Durham who could give me an explaination about the study plan? is it Durham a good University for studying ppe? Do you think i should accept the offer? Because i read that Warwick and York are the best ones!

ReputationRep:
    So you have an offer from Durham and you're waiting on York and Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm still waiting! But I am not sure...because I am not english, and so I am pretty worried.. I don't want to make the wrong choice!

ReputationRep:
    They're all good places, I'd personally say go for Durham, it's a very good place to do PPE.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would have ordered it Durham, Warwick then York - but then it's my personal preference - I love the feel of Durham and I understand it's hard if you haven't been able to see it (which I'm guessing you haven't?).

In any case, Durham is an excellent university and is competitive especially to courses like PPE. Well done on your offer!

ReputationRep:
    Oh Thank you and Yes I haven't been able to see it
    I love Durham [ I think It was love at first sight]. I really like the place and I am really happy about my offer!
    But as stated earlier, I am pretty worried...above all, about my future!
    Because certainly, I don't want to be one of those who can't find a job after university!
    Okay maybe I am just being paranoid... ò.ò

ReputationRep:
    No degree can guarantee you a job, whether it's PPE from Oxford, or Football Studies from Southampton Solent.

Don't cancel any of your applications yet, you'll need an insurance choice anyway but if possible, try to visit your unis. York and Durham are very near each other and even Warwick's not too far from them, you could visit them all in 3 days easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayleyyyy)
    I'd like to start a career as a diplomat so I think it's better to study ppe. Is there anyone in Durham who could give me an explaination about the study plan? is it Durham a good University for studying ppe? Do you think i should accept the offer? Because i read that Warwick and York are the best ones!
    You wont hear from York for a while. They wont start making offers/rejections until at least the 15th January I was told. They wait for the UCAS deadline to finish so they can assess everyone on a equal footing. I hope this puts at least some of the stress to rest. As a post above said no degree will ensure you get a job.

ReputationRep:
    Before I get quoted and corrected by people who have had offers I was referring to politics courses at york only XD

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Durham is the best of the 3 (I'm not a Durham student btw).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayleyyyy)
    Hey Kayley,

I'm currently president of the PPE Student Society at Durham University so perhaps can offer you some links to follow up:~

On our website we have a brief overview of the course and a few links to university pages with more in depth information http://www.dur.ac.uk/ppe.society/?page_id=39 - whilst the rest of our site can show the sort of events we run as a society for our PPE community

A full Program Specification can be found here

Personally, I chose Durham when holding offers from Warwick, York and Manchester for PPE and felt Durham was a better institution for all the component P, P & E departments separately so may be collectively too.

If you have any questions about PPE at Durham feel free to post them up here of PM me (though I don't come on TSR too often these days).

Best of luck with your other applications!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I think I will firm Durham anyway ...

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to hear what current Durham PPE students think about the course, teaching, etc. too!

I've heard so many great things about the courses at Warwick and York on TSR, but so little about Durham.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pick Warwick. It has a great Economics department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaches134)
    I'd love to hear what current Durham PPE students think about the course, teaching, etc. too!

I've heard so many great things about the courses at Warwick and York on TSR, but so little about Durham.
    Again I'd reiterate that the course isn't that integrated - so would say that the philosophy department is perhaps the best, followed by politics then econ. Well, I don't do much econ myself so can't really comment too much anyway - it may be true that other unis have different strengths, for which econ at warwick may well be their leading department for the course - though I know lots of economics students happy with our department!

ReputationRep:
    I graduated Durham PPE in 2009 and am currently looking into post-grad studies. Can help with advice if you like.

Most important thing is to go where you will be happy. Think hard about what you want -- big city vs. small city/town, campus vs. non-campus, predominately middle-class uni vs. more diverse uni.

ReputationRep:
    hi i am first year durham economics students. i don't really know much about politics or philosophy department, but i am quite informed about economics department. as far as i am concerned, it is really good, although it is criticised a bit for not being too quantitative. being honest, i don't see the point of going mentally quantitative.
    in addition, you do have to write quite a few essays a year, maybe a term. i am finding it quite challenging, although i am only doing eco...

ReputationRep:
    When do Durham normally give out decisions for PPE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneTimer)
    When do Durham normally give out decisions for PPE?
    Can be any time between November and February (rarely later if you have submitted your UCAS form by Christmas).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.