Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    well, i turned 17 this month, and as soon as i get this months wage, i would have enough for about 30 lessons.

what you people opinion about BSM? I heard many horror stories, but good stories too..
    If i was to book 30 lessons (10% discount), and I dont like the instructor, what do i do?

Any recommendations for driving school around derby area?

ReputationRep:
    well have a couple of lessons with a bsm instructor if you want, see what they're like. if you think they're good, then book 30, but don't commit yourself until you're happy with the instructor.
    why not ask around friends who are your age - see if they have any recommendations, or friends' older siblings

ReputationRep:
    If i was to book 30 lessons (10% discount), and I dont like the instructor, what do i do?
    Then just ask for a different BSM instructor

ReputationRep:
    Don't go for them because they are well known. Get some recommendations from friends and family.

ReputationRep:
    I liked BSM. Well, my instructor was great. The stupid people at the office cocked up something, saying I hadn't paid once, when I had, but my instructor just gave me a free lesson without telling them. :yy: I would say pay cash to the instructor each lesson and don't book advance lessons using card with the centre.

ReputationRep:
    I found their £27 an hour offer laughable. It's a shame because the instructor was good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hass147)
    I found their £27 an hour offer laughable. It's a shame because the instructor was good.

£27? That is so expensive, i took mine for £20, is it more expensive in London?, i heard it was, but could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixiefairy)
    £27? That is so expensive, i took mine for £20, is it more expensive in London?, i heard it was, but could be wrong.
    Indeed it was. Not sure if it's particularly expensive here, but I understood their reasons behind it. They want to create incentive to purchase the big upfront package of £280 for 20 lessons (which if you turn up to all of them and all goes well, is £14 a lesson). Big saving indeed however the part in brackets is the very problem.

The problem with that package is that, first you have to cough up ALL the £280 cash right away and any lesson that gets cancelled doesn't entitle you to a refund or new appointment (unless your instructor's cool). You're set a timetable that's completely set in stone, so any other plans get wiped out, not ideal. That timetable suits some people so I can't comment on behalf of everyone I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hass147)
    Indeed it was. Not sure if it's particularly expensive here, but I understood their reasons behind it. They want to create incentive to purchase the big upfront package of £280 for 20 lessons (which if you turn up to all of them and all goes well, is £14 a lesson). Big saving indeed however the part in brackets is the very problem.

The problem with that package is that, first you have to cough up ALL the £280 cash right away and any lesson that gets cancelled doesn't entitle you to a refund or new appointment (unless your instructor's cool). You're set a timetable that's completely set in stone, so any other plans get wiped out, not ideal. That timetable suits some people so I can't comment on behalf of everyone I guess.

I see, that's quite a offer, would you get to meet your instructor before you choose to take up on this offer? When i took lessons, i would pretty much 80% of the time rearrange my lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixiefairy)
    I see, that's quite a offer, would you get to meet your instructor before you choose to take up on this offer? When i took lessons, i would pretty much 80% of the time rearrange my lessons.
    I had some introductory lesson, think it was free of charge. So yes, in that sense, I suppose you do get to meet your instructor before you buy the bulk lesson package. I doubt rearranging is possible under the conditions of the offer, in exchange for the big saving you make, they have control over you; rather than us having control of our own lesson convenience.

It makes sense I suppose, well worth the money saved (if you have that £280 ready in advance) and can be disciplined enough to be available all the times set. Although my main gripe with that is the fact that they're putting it out as if £27 is the norm price, when it's way OTT. By the way that £280 figure I've mentioned, I can't exactly remember if that was exactly the cost. I still disagree with singular lessons being £27 an hour, it's ridiculous, at least £20 would have been reasonable. They're forcing people to pay all the cash, not very admirable but I suppose that's business.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.