Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my theory test tomorrow, and I need some advice about the different types of headlights and when to use them. I have looked through the highway code, but can't seem to find any difinitive answers.
    also, does anyone have any tips for the multiple choice questions, or is it a matter of just learning as many as possible of the more obscure ones. most of it is common sense of course, but i'm a bit worried because i have done several practise ones on the internet and scored from 38/50 upto 48/50

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070302

ReputationRep:
    If it looks like you should have them on, put them on.

Can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    If the street-lights are on, the legal minimum required lighting is side-lights in a 30 but most just go straight to dipped head-lights, dipped headlights on other roads after dusk. Full-beam headlights should only be used on unlit roads when there are no other moving vehicles visible ahead (going the same way as you or coming towards) and if another vehicle comes into view you MUST switch back down to dipped until they have gone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't foget to turn the full beam off. So sick of being blinded by these people!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Yeah I don't foget to turn the full beam off. So sick of being blinded by these people!!
    Or people who have a big 4x4, and those new fangled HID lights. Yeah, great, just blind me even on dipped while im in my corsa -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fubaring)
    Or people who have a big 4x4, and those new fangled HID lights. Yeah, great, just blind me even on dipped while im in my corsa -.-
    I have a Corsa too....*high five*

Also those new Audi's lights are so damn bright!! You know the ones I mean? Row of little lights They look cool but are not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I have a Corsa too....*high five*

Also those new Audi's lights are so damn bright!! You know the ones I mean? Row of little lights They look cool but are not

The LED's that go round the light cluster?

I think they are fantastic - you can see the car from much further away, especially at dawn or dusk when some people only have useless sidelights on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    The LED's that go round the light cluster?

I think they are fantastic - you can see the car from much further away, especially at dawn or dusk when some people only have useless sidelights on.
    Yeah those. I like them too...but they are so bright to me

I saw an old car the other day and they had made some make shift LED lights to look like an Audi haha
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we have a lot of people with those really bright or blue (which i thought were illegal?) headlights. ****** me off. i can't see a bloody thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    we have a lot of people with those really bright or blue (which i thought were illegal?) headlights. ****** me off. i can't see a bloody thing.
    HID lamps (the really bright ones that some new cars have) have a blue tinge to them - they're not actually blue, but just look it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.