Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't quite know where to post this.

With University fees rising in 2012 - do you reckon that getting a place at university will be easier?

This year, a large proportion of students did not get a place. We all know that this will be the case for 2011 entry. However, will this also be the case for 2012 entry or are people less likely to go to university with tuition fees rising?

And what do the welsh students have that us English students don't? Why should they go for free?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11880829

ReputationRep:
    yes

(Original post by TheHeart)
    Sorry, I don't quite know where to post this.

With University fees rising in 2012 - do you reckon that getting a place at university will be easier?

This year, a large proportion of students did not get a place. We all know that this will be the case for 2011 entry. However, will this also be the case for 2012 entry or are people less likely to go to university with tuition fees rising?

And what do the welsh students have that us English students don't? Why should they go for free?

Education is devolved in this country, that's why. That's also the reason why the Scots do Advanced Highers and people in England do A-levels.

In response to the question, I hope so! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know some people who will be going from a levels straight into work because of the rise

so technically yes, it will

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it would make a significant difference.

The recent trend of more and more people going to university may out weigh the amount of people who will opt-out because of the rise in fees in 2012.

It could go either way but I doubt it will be noticable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Education is devolved in this country, that's why. That's also the reason why the Scots do Advanced Highers and people in England do A-levels.

In response to the question, I hope so! :p:
    :party:

Perhaps

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make it financially more difficult to get in really, it just makes the loans worse. The rises will definitely put people off though, especially those achieving not so good grades, or those going to university and doing an easy course because they can... I think it probably will be easier to get in.

ReputationRep:
    It will im sure. there are sp many people i know who wont go to uni now

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I damn hope so! (y)

ReputationRep:
    The course I will be doing will be definitely under subscribed. At the moment there isn't that many people applying for it, so a rise in tuition fees will see less students applying again. But it should vary for each subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milwaukee)
    The course I will be doing will be definitely under subscribed. At the moment there isn't that many people applying for it, so a rise in tuition fees will see less students applying again. But it should vary for each subject.
    I guess it will still be competitive for courses like Medicine, Accounting, Dentistry etc

ReputationRep:
    Yes for the less competitive unis, but I imagine Oxbridge and the other top unis will remain at a similar level of competition.

ReputationRep:
    I think it will still be as hard to get into the top universities like the russel group and oxbridge but the other universities and courses it wil be easier to get into although the they are also stopping some courses so there will be fewer places at university so it might be as hard.

ReputationRep:
    Probably going to stay about the same I think.

I agree that in total, there will be fewer people applying for university, BUT universities themselves are facing massive reduction in funding from the government, so along with fewer applicants, its likely I think, that there will also be fewer places on offer. Hence why I think the overall competition should stay about the same.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the university / course

with the higher fees i reckon roughly the same amount of people will apply to the decent universities, and probably more people will apply to the degrees which offer better career prospects.

however its really impossible to say for sure. theres far too many conflicting reasons in there

ReputationRep:

We don't ge to go for free, if you read the article it just says that the higher tutition fees don't affect us!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I hope, yes, but realistically, I doubt a significant number of people will be put off by the fee rise. University is now like a rite of passage. Also, the last fee rise saw more people going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghaan)
    We don't ge to go for free, if you read the article it just says that the higher tutition fees don't affect us!
    For 2012 entry. However for 2011 entry you guys don't pay.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it will still be competitive for courses like Medicine, Accounting, Dentistry etc
    Yeah definitely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.