Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to medicine, think you'll get rejected, there is still a way :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, well let me tell you a little about my situation, I applied to Medicine this year got Interviews, I was so lucky to get them lol. Then no offers I was gutted, even though i got 3AAA's at the end of the year. So the only option i had left was to re-apply for my A-levels or do something I would dread for 3 years like biomedical science. Re-applying would mean I would waste one complete year doing everything possible just to get another interview, and even then its not certain i would get a place.

So what i did was i went straight to Google, and looked for an alternative solutions to studying medicine abroad, such as in Europe, well i found some univerisities, who offer medicine in English and who are also registered with the GMC, so after you qualify and get your degree, you can come and work here in the Uk, no discrimination what so ever, its like you studied somewhere like Soton or Nottingham. And enter the NHS foundation programme.

I am currently studying in Carol Davila, Its in Romania, Bucharest, the university is like the cambridge or oxford of England, old and full of history. But the learning experience is just great, they have loads of teaching hospitals in the city centre and as a student you can go and practise there without the hiccups you face in the Uk. Or if you want more of a Modern univerity, there are loads around the country. The student environment is just great you get to meet people from all over the world be it USA, JAPAN,KOREA, CANADA, JORDAN,KENYA. You name any country and there people representing it here, even British students, i was suprised when i went there and discovered loads of british people, who were in the same situations as me.

If you want any more info, pleas ask, I would love to help anyone, i know how it feels.

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting paid for advertising?

ReputationRep:
    No, why would i get paied, I am just helping people who were in the same situation as me last year

ReputationRep:
    I've heard rumours that in Prauge's med school people are kicked of the course if by their clinical years they aren't fluent in the local language. Is this the case in other European med schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poweroftheyouth)
    Hey, well let me tell you a little about my situation, I applied to Medicine this year got Interviews, I was so lucky to get them lol. Then no offers I was gutted, even though i got 3AAA's at the end of the year. So the only option i had left was to re-apply for my A-levels or do something I would dread for 3 years like biomedical science. Re-applying would mean I would waste one complete year doing everything possible just to get another interview, and even then its not certain i would get a place.

So what i did was i went straight to Google, and looked for an alternative solutions to studying medicine abroad, such as in Europe, well i found some univerisities, who offer medicine in English and who are also registered with the GMC, so after you qualify and get your degree, you can come and work here in the Uk, no discrimination what so ever, its like you studied somewhere like Soton or Nottingham. And enter the NHS foundation programme.

I am currently studying in Carol Davila, Its in Romania, Bucharest, the university is like the cambridge or oxford of England, old and full of history. But the learning experience is just great, they have loads of teaching hospitals in the city centre and as a student you can go and practise there without the hiccups you face in the Uk. Or if you want more of a Modern univerity, there are loads around the country. The student environment is just great you get to meet people from all over the world be it USA, JAPAN,KOREA, CANADA, JORDAN,KENYA. You name any country and there people representing it here, even British students, i was suprised when i went there and discovered loads of british people, who were in the same situations as me.

If you want any more info, pleas ask, I would love to help anyone, i know how it feels.
    In 3 years time this may prove really useful to me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any potential medical student would travel to ROMANIA to study... I mean eww

(Original post by Persephone9)
      I've heard rumours that in Prauge's med school people are kicked of the course if by their clinical years they aren't fluent in the local language. Is this the case in other European med schools?
      "Rumours" - wow, brilliant evidence you got there.

OP, this could definitely be useful to other students. Have you got any links at all?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by poweroftheyouth)
      so after you qualify and get your degree, you can come and work here in the Uk, no discrimination what so ever... And enter the NHS foundation programme.
      It's not as easy as that. Surely you will still need to sit the PLAB part 1 and 2 first?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      "Rumours" - wow, brilliant evidence you got there.
      It's obvious. Do you think somebody who doesn't speak English could train in clinical medicine in your local hospital?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Persephone9)
      Well am not so sure about prauge, but the place am studying you do you clinical in the 3rd year until the 6th year and its all in English, except for when you talking to one or two patients who dont understand English but there is always an assistant or a nurse with you, and the majority of the people speak English

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by i'm no superman)
      It's not as easy as that. Surely you will still need to sit the PLAB part 1 and 2 first?
      No not all, I was suprised myself when i found out myself aswell, go on the GMC website and have a look for yourself. You need to be a UK citizen though or any other country from the EU, thats it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nerimon18)
      I don't think any potential medical student would travel to ROMANIA to study... I mean eww
      Well if your serious about studying Medicine and there is no other way in the UK, i think its resaonable, and dont say 'eww' you have never visited the place.

ReputationRep:
      What bull**** is this?

It's no secret that there are medical schools outside the UK, similarly, it's no secret that these are an awful option and really are the last resort of the desperate.

Hundreds of threads on this. None of you are going to say anything new or interesting.

(Original post by Beska)
        It's obvious. Do you think somebody who doesn't speak English could train in clinical medicine in your local hospital?
        The OP is just giving information to students who live in the United Kingdom (and therefore speak English) but have been rejected by all four choices. In other words, he is addressing candidates who speak English.

Even so, the OP is not forcing anyone to piss off to Romania. You still have the decision to make up your own mind.
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        The OP is just giving information to students who live in the United Kingdom (and therefore speak English) but have been rejected by all four choices. In other words, he is addressing candidates who speak English.

Even so, the OP is not forcing anyone to piss off to Romania. You still have the decision to make up your own mind.
        You have missed my point completely.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Renal)
        What bull**** is this?

It's no secret that there are medical schools outside the UK, similarly, it's no secret that these are an awful option and really are the last resort of the desperate.

Hundreds of threads on this. None of you are going to say anything new or interesting.
        Care to explian why it is 'bull**** '? If you get your medical degree, and a lisence allowing you to practise in the UK, why is it bull****? Instead of wasting valuable time and effort for trying to apply in the UK.

ReputationRep:
        I love to medicine!

Almost as much as I love to writing grammatically!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.