Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering the idea of teaching English. I've worked as a journalist for a number of years now and have decided now to take a degree in Literature.

The course will take 3-6 years apparently, but following that (I will be 26-28 then) I would like to train as a teacher. I have heard mixed thoughts on how a degree from the OU is taken, but was wondering; 'Has anyone gone on from OU to qualify as a teacher?' and if so 'How did you find having OU on your C.V.?'

Thank you in advance ^_^

ReputationRep:
    I know of a Head of Physics at a very prestigious private school who attained her degree from OU. So it's been done with great success, but I don't really know much more than that. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The open do their own PGCE. The people I've known who've done it have had no difference in job prospects to others with a PGCE. As far as attitudes to the open go, I think it does depend what else you did at the same time. If you were studying with the open 60 credits a year and working full time, then you'll get more respect than if you were studying at the open 60 credits a year and not working. If you have a whole degree from the open and can show progression, it will be treated very differently from if you are doing random courses as a hobby (some peeps are proud of having done a course every year since the OU started back in the late 60s.... )
    Good luck!
    Becky

ReputationRep:
    My old maths teacher had got his maths degree from the open university.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds very good!

Basically I work full time as a journalist. I can't really afford to give it all up and go to University - it is a fantastic job, but also one I know is full of risk and far too much travelling.

I'd like to teach English eventually (maybe in my early 30's) and I think an OU degree would work for me. I work 2pm until 10pm each day so I have a good few hours in the morning to study.

It really does look like OU would be a good option for me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    My parents both teach. My dad got his first degree through the OU and went on to do a standard PGCE many years later to move into teaching. My mum did an OU PGCE and has never had trouble finding work.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at this:

http://sa-scheme.open.ac.uk/home.cfm

The Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA) actively recruit and put OU students on paid work experience placements within schools (and give initial training).

The scheme is available for students who are studying (or have A-Levels in) the following subjects:

Chemistry
    Design and Technology
    ICT
    Maths
    Physics

This may not be relevant to you as you are studying English Lit. however it shows that the OU is considered a good university to become a teacher.

Also it may be worth you getting a copy of the OU flexible PGCE Prospectus

https://css2.open.ac.uk/outis/1a/O1A...sp?catcode=C21

Again it is worth noting the subjects available. As it may be that if you really want to become a teacher you may want to consider also looking at the subjects where there is a lack of teachers.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying for an Open Degree with the uni and wish to apply for a PGCE place with them and was wondering can i apply a few months before i finish my undergraduate degree with them?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrykerry)
    I am currently studying for an Open Degree with the uni and wish to apply for a PGCE place with them and was wondering can i apply a few months before i finish my undergraduate degree with them?

Thanks
    Best get in touch with them direct and ask this I think, but in general you can apply for things based on your expected result so it would make sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.