Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    on the mark scheme, for reduction of saturated fats, it says reduces LDLs, blood cholesterol but not atheroma deposition... although I thought sat fat was responsible for it...
    Thanks for clearing up this confusion!

ReputationRep:
    Atheroma plaques form under the endothelium lining when the lining of the artery wall is damaged. High levels of LDL and large deposits of cholesterol don't damage the wall necessarily, it causes hypertension to occur and then atherosceloris will occur leading to atheroma. I think it is linked but it is not the main effect of the reduction of saturated fats.

Hope this is useful, if it still is confusing look it up in the CGP book, or any other good revision book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen123)
    on the mark scheme, for reduction of saturated fats, it says reduces LDLs, blood cholesterol but not atheroma deposition... although I thought sat fat was responsible for it...
    Thanks for clearing up this confusion!
    The situation with saturated fats is a bit controversial at the moment - despite its image as bad for the heart, the evidence available now seems to indicate that it is not necessarily linked. A huge study on 348,000 individuals found no link between saturated fat intake and CHD, and pacific islanders who have a huge sat' fat intake have low CHD rates. They think that the situation may be more complicated, depending on what kind of fat you are looking at.

Basically, it would be wrong to say that saturated fat definitely causes atherosclerosis. Cholesterol levels and LDLs do, however, as this increases plaque formation (lots of fats are found in macrophages within plaques - they seem to consume circulating lipids).

(Original post by 16ARTER)
    High levels of LDL and large deposits of cholesterol don't damage the wall necessarily, it causes hypertension to occur and then atherosceloris will occur leading to atheroma.
    Cholesterol and LDL don't cause hypertension. Hypertension is independently linked to CHD, possibly because it increases the initial damage in the endothelia that causes the plaque formation in the first place (as evidenced by more plaques forming in turbulent areas such as the coronary circulation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You obviously know your stuff, but what are the chances any of that is on the mark scheme? That's just going to add to the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
    what are the chances any of that is on the mark scheme? That's just going to add to the confusion.
    The question was why 'saturated fats causes plaques' was not on the mark scheme, and i answered... it wasn't like i was telling them how to answer a question on atherosclerosis :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.