Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When is the best time to buy a laptop? (Sales/ Value for Money) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal - I begin university in 2011 and will DEFINITELY be getting a new laptop (the one I have now has a broken -read unattached- hinge with wires poking out, and is hideously, suspiciously slow).

However I am on a pretty bad budget - I'll spend above 350/400 if I need to but I'm really looking for something that will work fast for processing and web browsing, at a good value. With this in mind I'm wondering when the best deal is to be had in terms of store clearance/ special offers and so on.

Is it better to buy a laptop now in the pre-VAT rise/ January clear-out or to wait until the back-to-school offers (or another point)? I had a quick look online and there was an article that seemed to suggest April as one of the better times? So I'm quite confused

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Around now, this time last year I got my Dell Inspiron 500 from PC World reduced from £500 to £300.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    yeah, now :P
    recommend dell

ReputationRep:
    Probably now, I've seen some good deals but I only got mine last summer so

ReputationRep:
    *subscribes to this thread*

ReputationRep:
    christmas Holidays and Summer holidays

its usually when new updated versions of the laptop comes out so they'll sell the soon to be outdated laptop for a much cheaper price. Theyre still veryyy good though

ReputationRep:
    Probably a slightly late reply but:

If you see a good deal in the sales then it's probably worth going for it. However if you don't see a good deal and don't need a new laptop until you go to uni I'd probably wait until the summer.

After the VAT rise a £400 laptop will cost £408.51 (Not a massive difference!)

For technology things like exchange rates and demand for certain components will make a bigger difference. If you're able to put it off until the summer holidays then you'll probably get a better laptop for your money. Once you know which uni you're going to you might find there are some places that will give you a discount based on where you're going.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all!

I think I'm going to wait till Summer simply because I am going to be pretty picky as to what I want, and as mfaxford said the VAT rise is not going to make much difference in terms of value.

However, I am travelling mid-June to mid-September which does complicate things a bit. Hm - it'll work out!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.