The Student Room Group

Discounts should not be charged to old/young people

Not sure if this goes in d&d or here

The people getting discounts still take up one seat so thererfore people paying full price would have to make up what they lose from charging lower prices.

Would yo support charging one price for everyone, which would drop the full price to less?
Wouldnt you agree people should pay the same if they are using one seat?
Reply 1
Whether or not you agree is completely moot since concession charges are at the discretion of privately owned companies.
Reply 2
Original post by Planto
Whether or not you agree is completely moot since concession charges are at the discretion of privately owned companies.

Is it fair for me to pay for a child/ old person i have no connection to?
What exactly are we talking about here? Buses, cinemas, aeroplanes, what?
Reply 4
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
What exactly are we talking about here? Buses, cinemas, aeroplanes, what?

Everything that offers reduced fees
Reply 5
Original post by DOA

It's fair that a company charges the prices it wants to charge. The question you are asking is irrelevant. That's not how it works.

This is the least discussion-worthy topic I have seen in a long time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
If you got the discounts I highly doubt you'd complain. And you won't be paying for anyone with a disability or OAP's as I'm under the impression bus companies receive subsidies from government agencies (eg. Transport Scotland) to allow free travel.
Original post by DOA
Everything that offers reduced fees

OK, fair enough. I reckon the discounts are quite fair tbh, since children don't work for money, and OAPs are usually only living on pensions, so it's fairer that they pay less.
You dont pay towards them. You just give the owner more profit than they do.
Reply 9
Original post by DOA

I agree with the other posts on here so far: A company can charge whatever they like.

In relation to your point here, when these old people were younger they, just like you, paid for these discounts for other people. When you get older you'll also see the benefits. Added to this, older people and children don't usually work so it makes sense to charge less.
It all balances in the end though - you had the discounts when you were little and you'll have them when you're old.

I'm interested to hear what you think about those with disability concessions on buses &c.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending