Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this goes in d&d or here

The people getting discounts still take up one seat so thererfore people paying full price would have to make up what they lose from charging lower prices.

Would yo support charging one price for everyone, which would drop the full price to less?
    Wouldnt you agree people should pay the same if they are using one seat?

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not you agree is completely moot since concession charges are at the discretion of privately owned companies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Whether or not you agree is completely moot since concession charges are at the discretion of privately owned companies.
    Is it fair for me to pay for a child/ old person i have no connection to?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are we talking about here? Buses, cinemas, aeroplanes, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    What exactly are we talking about here? Buses, cinemas, aeroplanes, what?
    Everything that offers reduced fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    It's fair that a company charges the prices it wants to charge. The question you are asking is irrelevant. That's not how it works.

This is the least discussion-worthy topic I have seen in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    If you got the discounts I highly doubt you'd complain. And you won't be paying for anyone with a disability or OAP's as I'm under the impression bus companies receive subsidies from government agencies (eg. Transport Scotland) to allow free travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    Everything that offers reduced fees
    OK, fair enough. I reckon the discounts are quite fair tbh, since children don't work for money, and OAPs are usually only living on pensions, so it's fairer that they pay less.

You dont pay towards them. You just give the owner more profit than they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    I agree with the other posts on here so far: A company can charge whatever they like.

In relation to your point here, when these old people were younger they, just like you, paid for these discounts for other people. When you get older you'll also see the benefits. Added to this, older people and children don't usually work so it makes sense to charge less.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It all balances in the end though - you had the discounts when you were little and you'll have them when you're old.

I'm interested to hear what you think about those with disability concessions on buses &c.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.