Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help - boyfriend not feeling well. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've made him an appointment for Friday, but he's just text me whilst he's at work saying that the past few nights he's been waking up feeling really really hot and sweaty, like DRENCHED in sweat, and it's only happening when he's in bed. He's tried being naked, turning off the heating, leaving the window open, having a fan, allsorts! What's going on :/

ReputationRep:
    FEVER???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    We're not doctors :p:

I'[d recommend calling up and seeing if there are any cancellations (I don't know about you, but here they have to save X amount of emergency slots as well) before Friday.

If all else fails, and he doesn't get worse, go in on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is destroying a doctor

ReputationRep:
    Is he looking at that pic in your sig while he's in bed?

ReputationRep:
    Has he got a chesty cough at all? I find this happens when you've got congestion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point in booking an appointment then asking TSR for help.

ReputationRep:
    go to the doctors!!!!!!!

take ibuprofen or aspirin, that'll help the fever. take his temperature. 36.5–37.5 °C is normal, anything more that 1° above that and he should go to the doctors now. make him drink loads of fluids.

it might be man flu :-)

ReputationRep:
    ....NHS24?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollie82)
    go to the doctors!!!!!!!

take ibuprofen or aspirin, that'll help the fever. take his temperature. 36.5–37.5 °C is normal, anything more that 1° above that and he should go to the doctors now. make him drink loads of fluids.

it might be man flu :-)
    Man flu just means making a big deal out of small symptoms. Waking up drenched in sweat every night is not a small symptom that could just be shrugged off as 'man flu'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Man flu just means making a big deal out of small symptoms. Waking up drenched in sweat every night is not a small symptom that could just be shrugged off as 'man flu'.
    He, like a large number of young adults at the moment, probably has flu, or a flu-like virus. This gives you a high temperature, hence the waking up drenched. The current bout is nasty and makes people feel properly like ****, but in most cases will improve after a few days with lots of fluids and paracetamol. Both GPs and A&E are currently absolutely overflowing with similar cases (trust me, I've been working A&E nights right through Christmas!), so unless he has other background health problems or is starting to develop serious difficulty in breathing etc, I'd say the wait to see a medical professional will probably make him feel worse than spending a similar amount of time in bed with some lemsip.

It is true that night sweats in other circumstances are not to be taken lightly, so if it doesn't settle down with the above treatment he should see a doctor (which he already has an appointment for).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    He, like a large number of young adults at the moment, probably has flu, or a flu-like virus. This gives you a high temperature, hence the waking up drenched. The current bout is nasty and makes people feel properly like ****, but in most cases will improve after a few days with lots of fluids and paracetamol. Both GPs and A&E are currently absolutely overflowing with similar cases (trust me, I've been working A&E nights right through Christmas!), so unless he has other background health problems or is starting to develop serious difficulty in breathing etc, I'd say the wait to see a medical professional will probably make him feel worse than spending a similar amount of time in bed with some lemsip.

It is true that night sweats in other circumstances are not to be taken lightly, so if it doesn't settle down with the above treatment he should see a doctor (which he already has an appointment for).
    Thankyou very much for your advice. He is the type of guy that refutes being Ill and is never ill so when he told me, I was pretty shocked. He said he's being having the hot sweats type thing for the past few nights. I've also managed to weasel out of him that one of his testicles is hurting again quite badly. He had previously been given antibiotics which seemed to do the job, and he has had an ultrasound which showed inflammation, and now he has told me it's starting to hurt again. He has just said now that he has started getting chest pains. Hes currently at work and I'm trying to persuade him to come home, but he works as a waiter in a pub and he feels like he can't let them down, but I've tried telling him his health is more important than how fast someone gets a pint...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Thankyou very much for your advice. He is the type of guy that refutes being Ill and is never ill so when he told me, I was pretty shocked. He said he's being having the hot sweats type thing for the past few nights. I've also managed to weasel out of him that one of his testicles is hurting again quite badly. He had previously been given antibiotics which seemed to do the job, and he has had an ultrasound which showed inflammation, and now he has told me it's starting to hurt again. He has just said now that he has started getting chest pains. Hes currently at work and I'm trying to persuade him to come home, but he works as a waiter in a pub and he feels like he can't let them down, but I've tried telling him his health is more important than how fast someone gets a pint...
    The testicular pain may or may not be related but that is something worth getting checked out. You've done the right thing in making him an appointment already, just give him lots of TLC and hope he feels better soon. Obviously if he does deteriorate rapidly then go to A&E but as I've already said, don't expect a great time there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The testicular pain may or may not be related but that is something worth getting checked out. You've done the right thing in making him an appointment already, just give him lots of TLC and hope he feels better soon. Obviously if he does deteriorate rapidly then go to A&E but as I've already said, don't expect a great time there!
    No , I completely understand the system is probably already overloaded with people who need it more than him, I'm just concerned because he's never ill so when he tells me somethings wrong I know he's really not well! Well I've told him if his chest pain gets really bad or his testicle hurts really bad then I will take him ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeographyEllie)
    FEVER???
    When you kiss me,

Fever when you hold me tight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    When you kiss me,

Fever when you hold me tight...
    :perv:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have a panic attack. This happened to me twice this year when I otherwise felt absolutely fine; it lasted for a week or 2 each time. Never found out what it was but I doubt he'll die.

ReputationRep:
    I have that every now and them while I'm at uni, it freaked me out at first but it got better once I was used to sleeping away from home at uni halls. Something to do with stress maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I've made him an appointment for Friday, but he's just text me whilst he's at work saying that the past few nights he's been waking up feeling really really hot and sweaty, like DRENCHED in sweat, and it's only happening when he's in bed. He's tried being naked, turning off the heating, leaving the window open, having a fan, allsorts! What's going on :/
    Hello!

Make sure that he goes to the doctors is the BEST thing.. it might be a viral thing thats been going around recently. Does he have any other symptoms?
    Take paracetamol for the temperature (To bring it down) Ibuprofen can be used to stop any inflammation but needs to be taken after hes eaten food (don't give him this if hes Asthmatic or had any stomach problems)

xx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.