Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK I got inspired to create this thread because of some quarrels with my parents, but I'm not going to bore you guys with my family issues

Do you know such cases of 'overprotective parents'? Are your parents one of these? Or your friends' parents? By 'overprotective' I mean being WAY too concerned and paranoid about your wellbeing and safety, such as not letting you go out when it gets dark outside because 'something might happen to you', calling every 15 mins because they haven't heard from you 'in a very long time' and consequently 'something bad might have happened' during these 15 mins. You got it

How do you think this affects the child/teenager as they grow up and become adults themselves.. I have heard that such children become scared of literally everything and very insecure and stuff like that.. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, they are. :rolleyes: 'cept they don't call me every 15 mins, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are worse than this. They refuse to let me stay over someone's, unless they call their parents first, I am not allowed out on evenings, when I get out of work at 9pm, I have to call them within five minutes or they will ring me non stop. I have to tell them exactly where I'm going, what I'm buying...
    It's a nightmare. I love my parents to death, and we are generally quite good friends, but they are so strict that I am pretty sure that I will be leaving home bang on my eighteenth birthday and very rarely come back. It's a shame, because it has definitely ruined our bond. I think they will (especially my father) regret it later on.

ReputationRep:
    yes mine are protective, especially my dad
    i wasn't allowed out late, i wasn't allowed to drink when i was younger, i wasn't allowed to have a bf (i'm still not, my dad still goes really funny if he knows i've even been hanging out with guys :rolleyes:), not allowed to smoke, i have to ring and text them after a night out, i have to talk to my mum every day/couple of days, if i say i'm going out, they want to know where, who with, when 'll be back, my mum facebook stalks me now i'm at uni.
    i've hidden alot of stuff that i've done from them,the would go ape ****, but what they don't know won't hurt them :teehee: what really annoys me is that they were alot more lenient towards my younger brother :pierre:

(Original post by eve_bg)
    OK I got inspired to create this thread because of some quarrels with my parents, but I'm not going to bore you guys with my family issues

Do you know such cases of 'overprotective parents'? Are your parents one of these? Or your friends' parents? By 'overprotective' I mean being WAY too concerned and paranoid about your wellbeing and safety, such as not letting you go out when it gets dark outside because 'something might happen to you', calling every 15 mins because they haven't heard from you 'in a very long time' and consequently 'something bad might have happened' during these 15 mins. You got it

How do you think this affects the child/teenager as they grow up and become adults themselves.. I have heard that such children become scared of literally everything and very insecure and stuff like that.. What do you think?
    Even worse for me, I'm not allowed out AT ALL. Put it this way, cannot wait until I am a free person (literally).

Oh no, my mother is a bit of a bohemian. Which isn't that good, especially when one's drunk at 3am and has to walk for 5 miles because mother's asleep and refuses to awaken to book an Addison Lee.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god my Dads bot like that though he woudl be if i would let him. He tried it on me but i told him Im 18 years old and i can and will look after myself and there is no need 4 him to know where i am, if he wants anything from me he should text me. Now he never asks where im going and only sometimes asks when ill be back.
    Rgding the effect overprotective parents have on kids depends on the character of the child. I have some friends whose parents make them tell them where they are etc and dont let them do anything like smoke, drink, bf etc and they just end up lying a lot 2 their parents and will both move out of home as soon as they have the money and then they will do it all 10x more than they would had they been allowed to but they are just rebellious characters. Some kids are naturally compliant and they will probably grow up lacking in confidence and independence.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.