Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be embarking on my degree at New College, Oxford in October and I really want to know what the service is like for the different mobile phone companies. You see, I'm just about to take out a new contract and obviously I would hate to be MIA for the entire duration of my degree due to lack of phone service. (And please don't say just change your mobile network provider - that's far far too complicated for me!)

I'm leaning towards a contract with Virgin if that helps, gonnaaa get on a blackberry hype

ReputationRep:
    It varies a lot - the old buildings do make reception difficult. Some which seem to be terrible some places are the only ones that are fine in others. I haven't noticed any trends myself. Equally, i haven't noticed it affecting my life at all either - you see people either in person at meals or in the JCR or on skype - i've never missed out on anything because i missed a call or anything.

EDIT: there are room phones too (i think), an out and about in Oxford any network should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I havent been long enough in Oxford to make any really convincing recommendations however during the two weeks in the summer and one week in December for the interviews I realized that my English Vodafone SIM card phone always had better reception than my German SIM card phone which automatically switches to O2 in England. Vodafone has also beaten T-Mobile and Orange (I manually changed the provider to figure it out)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at New, but I have lived in two colleges very near it (Harris Manchester and Wadham) and reception hasn't been great in my rooms at either of them (I'm on Orange).

To be honest, though, reception's different even at different locations in colleges - I'm not sure I'd bother trying to second-guess what it'll be like.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a BB and there is wireless internet you can get good signal as long as the wireless is good. You will have to login occasionally though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assassnum)
    I havent been long enough in Oxford to make any really convincing recommendations however during the two weeks in the summer and one week in December for the interviews I realized that my English Vodafone SIM card phone always had better reception than my German SIM card phone which automatically switches to O2 in England. Vodafone has also beaten T-Mobile and Orange (I manually changed the provider to figure it out)
    Equally, in the games room at Merton O2 performs better than the others, and each room seems to have its own preferences. It really changes.

ReputationRep:
    O2 has terrible reception at Trinity and is slightly better, but still quite bad, at the Medical Sciences Teaching Center. Around the river and ChCh it's relatively good though.

ReputationRep:
    i imagine it will be similar to cambridge.

massive black spots in some buildings, perfect signal in others. as you won't be in the same room for all years of your degree it doesn't matter massively what network you're on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Equally, in the games room at Merton O2 performs better than the others, and each room seems to have its own preferences. It really changes.
    great xD I was at Merton College for the interviews and O2 didnt have any reception at all in my room and the JCR, however, Vodafone had nearly perfect reception xD

O2 and Orange also fail (at least on my phone) around the Ashmolean (yep, on the street in front of the Ashmolean, no reception for my phone ) and at St. Catz

ReputationRep:
    I was at Hertford and had a signal blackspot in the middle of my room - had to be at either end to get a signal from Vodafone!

ReputationRep:
    At my New interview, my T mobile reception was fine almost everywhere if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    orange is pretty good around st johns college
    o2 is horrible

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've got an offer to study medicine at Oriel in 2011.

I'm looking at swapping network provider on my phone from orange to Vodafone. Whilst at the interview, my Orange phone worked seemingly fine, no loss of network etc. But people seemed to have problems with O2.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what the coverage for Vodafone is like? 3G or no 3G etc?

And, another thing! This is probably a ridiculous question as well. Whilst at Oxford my room was tidied, and contained all the linen/towels etc. Is this what normally happens whilst you're a student there? It seemed totally different to any other Uni, and intrigued me somewhat!

Cheers for your help!

ReputationRep:
    When I was in Oxford for the Open Day, my phone had perfect reception, so Vodafone is fine.

And with respect to your room, you won't get that. That's what they offer for conference and interview use. You were a 'guest' so they treated you like one. I'm not sure about linen, but you have to bring your own towels to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    i'm on vodafone and haven't had any problems yet, the signal is just like at home in that there is the occasional random signal blackspot but not frequently enough to be an issue, i always seem to have great signal everywhere in town.

also the linen/cleaning thing depends on your college. at LMH, we have our rooms cleaned once a week and bins emptied daily mon-fri, and have to provide our own bed linen (although i think college had some packs you could buy if you didn't want to bring your own). it varies by college, as i know my sister was provided with bed linen when she was there (hertford 2002-5, so it might have changed since then!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.