Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the second year of a neuroscience degree and want to apply for GEM 2012 entry. However, I don't have any recent work experience as I've been rather ill for the past year or so, and this will probs last a while longer. Hopefully I'll be ok by summer to do a couple of weeks in a hospital but for GEM this obviously won't cut it. I have a load of work experience and voluntary work from when I applied during my A-levels (and obv a lot of personal experience of being a patient) but I know many schools require evidence of recent placements.

I want to apply for 2012 anyway, as my uni results so far have been good and hopefully I'll be able to get a good UKCAT/BMAT score again (judging from my results last time). I understand that I'm unlikely to get past interview with such little work experience but I think they would be great practice for applying the following year (I was rejected last time I applied due my bad interviews). My only concern is whether some unis don't allow you to reapply if you've previously failed to get in? Therefore, would it be better to wait for 2013 to apply? I'm thinking of barts, imperial, ucl and birmingham/warwick btw if anyone has experience of these specific unis?

Really appreciate any advice.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's not how much you've done, it's what you've got out of it. I would start applying for work experience now, even though you are likely to be ill, because it takes a while for CRB checks and training to be done. Also, if you are volunteering, you aren't obliged to go in (although it's nice to tell them you won't make it) and so you might be able to work it around your illness if it's a cyclic thing. Personally, I'd go for 2012 entry, as you can always defer, but email the uni's you're interested in and see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.