Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is Ryan Reynolds up to?! Watch

• View Poll Results: Is Reynolds good for the role(s)
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    Deadpool and The Green Lantern? Not only is he a bad choice for both of these, but how can they have the same actor for two superhero movies that are a year apart? :sigh:

Seriously, both of those films could be amazing but because a rom-com actor has wormed himself in (and even helped with the script!), they are going to be terrible.

Here's The Green Lantern trailer, and yes, Reynolds does in fact say "It feels like no matter how bad things get, there's something good out there, just over the horizon"... pure cheese. oh, and he does very nearly steal the Spider-man phrase too... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I will watch whatever he's in purely to lust over him on screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    but because a rom-com actor has wormed himself in (and even helped with the script!), they are going to be terrible.
    Go and watch Buried, and then tell me that film was ruined because of a rom-com actor. The failures of these films will be nothing to do with Reynolds, who has shown he can actually act this year.

ReputationRep:
    I liked him as Deadpool

Don't think he'll be very good as the Green Lantern though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Go and watch Buried, and then tell me that film was ruined because of a rom-com actor. The failures of these films will be nothing to do with Reynolds, who has shown he can actually act this year.
    I've watched it... twice. It's a very good (albeit frightening! (I'm claustrophobic )) film and yes, Reynolds suits that role because it has no comedy elements at all, so he could completely reinvent himself. However, a superhero role is much more difficult because you can't fall into cliches/corny acting, otherwise it just seems childish. As soon as he starts making jokes and acting like he does in rom-coms, his character is blown.

Why do you think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were so popular? They were targeted for a mature audience and had mature actors with critically acclaimed films under their belt.

ReputationRep:
    Along the same lines i loved ryan reynolds in Blade Trinty. I thought his humour and light hearted approach made that film and i thought it was the best of the 3. I cant see why he wouldnt suit a superhero role myself.

ReputationRep:
    i think he will play deadpool well...not so sure about green lantern

ReputationRep:
    He does kinda suit the Green lantern role imo

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the script to actually say if it's any good? The reviews of the script when it was leaked have been great...

I cba to read it though. 100+ pages of reading... long.

ReputationRep:
    He's ripped....well he was in Blade Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched it... twice. It's a very good (albeit frightening! (I'm claustrophobic )) film and yes, Reynolds suits that role because it has no comedy elements at all, so he could completely reinvent himself. However, a superhero role is much more difficult because you can't fall into cliches/corny acting, otherwise it just seems childish. As soon as he starts making jokes and acting like he does in rom-coms, his character is blown.

Why do you think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were so popular? They were targeted for a mature audience and had mature actors with critically acclaimed films under their belt.
    Give the bloke a chance, as for The Dark Knight....the film was stolen by an actor everyone labelled as a rom-com actor.

ReputationRep:

The same doesn't exactly hold true for Iron Man though, does it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.