Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skullcandy earbud headphones... are they decent? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    My Apple headphones have taken their toll (six months is pretty good for them), but no way am I spending £25 again to replace them. I found some Skullcandy ones on Amazon for £12.99 but I want to know how good they are in terms of sound quality, life e.t.c. Do they break quite easily? A lot of the reviews say the earbuds snap off the wire If they aren't so good, could you recommend some? I have a budget of £20, I don't like those big headphones (the gangsta looking ones!) because I would look like a douche and I just want decent sound.

Anywho, off to add the Apple headphones to my box of headphone carcasses and iPod bodies. Thanks and any help will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Sennheiser cx-300ii

They can be had for very cheap at around £17 and they offer brilliant sound quality for the price. Miles ahead of the Apple Earbuds.

ReputationRep:
    They are loud, that is all.

Durable? No.

ReputationRep:
    Do not buy skullcandy headphones, the sound quality is terrible. Even those gummy headphones are better.

Sennheisers are very good. I managed to get hold of some CX300-IIs for £17.99 online, and the sound quality is amazing for what they are. HMV charge something like £34.99 for them, and I found them somewhere else for around £50, so they are worth it. Bass enhanced and they're earbud headphones, oh they're wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    My Apple headphones have taken their toll (six months is pretty good for them), but no way am I spending £25 again to replace them. I found some Skullcandy ones on Amazon for £12.99 but I want to know how good they are in terms of sound quality, life e.t.c. Do they break quite easily? A lot of the reviews say the earbuds snap off the wire If they aren't so good, could you recommend some? I have a budget of £20, I don't like those big headphones (the gangsta looking ones!) because I would look like a douche and I just want decent sound.

Anywho, off to add the Apple headphones to my box of headphone carcasses and iPod bodies. Thanks and any help will be appreciated
    Skullcandy is all about aesthetics, really don't bother with them unless you're going to show 'em off.

Sound quality is usually piss poor relative to competition at the same price points, and they break so easily. Seriously, I bought a nice, £40 pair of skullcandy headphones and they broke in a month of casual use.

Go for the sennheisers mentioned in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Lowest priced decent earbuds I can think of are jvc marshmallows.

ReputationRep:
    Skullcandy's are terrible. Avoid like the plague.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoffs)
    Sennheiser cx-300ii

They can be had for very cheap at around £17 and they offer brilliant sound quality for the price. Miles ahead of the Apple Earbuds.

QFT get these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    No.
    Lowest priced decent earbuds I can think of are jvc marshmallows.
    I second this. I got some for £9.99 (shop priced them wrong, and I made a scene so they sold at that price muahah) and they are superb.

Skullcandy are even more overpriced than the apple headphones.
    Terrible quality, terrible sound quality...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Skullcandy are even more overpriced than the apple headphones.
    Terrible quality, terrible sound quality...
    They're actually cheaper. Apple's official ones are £25 and £69, Skullcandy is £12-30 depending on the range.

I went with those Sein-whatever ones guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    They're actually cheaper. Apple's official ones are £25 and £69, Skullcandy is £12-30 depending on the range.

I went with those Sein-whatever ones guys.
    Good choice either way

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.