Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was on my way to the bus stop yesterday and had to cross a road, I pressed the button at the crossing and waited for the light to go green (to cross) and the light for traffic had gone red, I proceeded to cross only to be very nearly knocked down by some idiot who went through the red light.
    He/ she drove away slowly enough for me to memorise their number plate and write it down after but I can't find anything online about how to report them?!

Also would anyone here report them? It's not the firs time someone's almost gone into me at a pedestrian crossing when I've had right to cross. It's not like I just walked into the road! I pressed the button, waited, did the right thing yadda yadda..

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Just because the man is green, doesn't mean you shouldn't look both ways before crossing. But having said that, it's no excuse for driving through a red light, but it could have been an accident, ut if he did almost run you over he should have stopped and got out. Report his ass.

ReputationRep:
    If you look on your local police force website there should be a number there for non emergency calls, something like 0300....

You can ring and report them but Im not sure what they would normally do in these sort of situations, but worth a try I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Report it to the police. Make sure you've got as many details like the times it happened and where etc. and they probably won't do anything about it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Report it. I was once hit by a car even though it was a green for me. I didn't memorise the plates though.

ReputationRep:
    I would report them yes. The same thing happened to me when I was about 8, my Dad was with me and I remember he reported it to the police and I was interviewed. I don't remembered if he phoned (non emergency) or just visited them in person. But as said above find the number for your local station and give them a call or just go in and speak to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    they probably won't do anything about it to be honest.
    Nag them enough and they will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiamTheKook)
    Nag them enough and they will.
    Actually there isn't much the police can do about it.

Unless there are CCTVs monitoring that area, it is unlikely anything would happen as there won't be any evidence for prosecution.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, this incident wouldn't have happened if you'd been paying attention to what was happening on the road. I'm not suggesting that the driver wasn't in the wrong, but given that crossing a busy road (and this presumably was a reasonably busy road if there's a pedestrian crossing on it) is potentially dangerous it seems a bit dumb not to glance both ways before stepping out when you're potentially in the path of a ton or more of steel travelling at speed. What if it had been an emergency vehicle? Or simply a driver making a mistake - there's been enough posts on here about people accidentally going through a red light. It's better not to leave a decision with potentially fatal consequences to a little box of electronics.
    As a sidenote, as a driver I find it bloody irritating when pedestrians just walk up to a pedestrian crossing and press the button without looking at the traffic, then don't even start to move till the box on the traffic lights starts chirping to tell them it's time to wake up and cross. Most of the time you just need to look and realise there's a gap coming - normally doesn't take any longer, it just means the cars pass you rather than having to slow down and stop to let you pass in front. It wastes a lot of time, increases congestion and wastes fuel.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to know why someone's negged me for my last post - I don't care at all about rep, but I don't see what there is to disagree with?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.