Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In a bid to be healthier and lose weight I was thinking of givin up chocolate and fizzy drinks starting from the new year, is this a good idea? Is chocolate in moderation ok or beneficial. Is totally giving up one type of food bad especially if I am surrounded by it I could be tempted, advice would be very helpful

Don't bother going all out and giving up everything because you won't cope. It's ok to have a treat in moderation, so perhaps a chocolate bar/fizzy drink once a week or fortnight.

ReputationRep:
      Fizzy drinks is easy - just choose water. I mean. Why waste calories on something you're just drinking for thirst? I'd rather drink water and save myself from drinking empty calories.

Chocolate is harder. Just try not to buy it when you see it in the shops, not even a small bar.
      but eat a little (the taste is enough) every once in a while when you're craving it.

ReputationRep:
      I've been trying this past week to give it up but I caved today, was so hungry and just couldn't help myself, I'm thinking maybe the stress of triying to give up isn't worth the benefits of giving up completely

ReputationRep:
      Instead of going cold turkey on fizzy drinks and chocolate, why don't you limit how much you eat. Say a bar of chocolate and a can of fizzy drinks every fortnight?

Something like that because if you were to give it all up then 'accidently' eat/drink some it would cause unneeded stress.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Saf94)
      I've been trying this past week to give it up but I caved today, was so hungry and just couldn't help myself, I'm thinking maybe the stress of triying to give up isn't worth the benefits of giving up completely
      You were hungry, so why not eat something else like fruit? You're not giving up all food...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Captain92)
      Switch to diet soft drinks.
      As for giving up chocolate, I don't have much of a sweet tooth anymore since making a conscious effort to try to give it up, but when I get cravings I buy one of of those kiddie bars, like a Freddo or something and that tides me over until the next time I can't resist.
      Im similar, after I made a conscious effort to sotp eating it, I don't want it so much anymore. Especially when one little chocolate bar is half an hours worth of jogging.
      I've got to the stage where I feel embarasserd to buy it, and I feel to ashamed to eat a random chocolate bar infront of people/in public (it actually helps to lessen the amount, before I'd buy it everytime I bought food). So if I'm craving it, I get a small-sized bar and eat it in the car or when I get home.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ily_em)
      You were hungry, so why not eat something else like fruit? You're not giving up all food...
      Cos I was hungry and then when looking in the fridge was confronted by the milkyway and couldn't resist, I could've eaten somethin else but i really wanted that chocolate bar

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Saf94)
      In a bid to be healthier and lose weight I was thinking of givin up chocolate and fizzy drinks starting from the new year, is this a good idea? Is chocolate in moderation ok or beneficial. Is totally giving up one type of food bad especially if I am surrounded by it I could be tempted, advice would be very helpful
      If you want to lose weight then yeah - reducing the amount of fatty foods you eat is a good idea but it won't really do much if you don't exercise. My advice to you would be to reduce how much choco/fizzy drinks you consume. You don't necessarily have to remove it from your diet completely but it's not a bad idea. If you really want to then find something to substitute. I mean if you still want the fizzyness in a drink try sparkling water? Or instead of chocolate have a sweet fruit? It's what I've done to be honest and it helps At first its hard but eventually its just normal to have a banana or a mango instead of a bar of chocolate.

Although I do have chocolate and coke and whatnot from time to time but not as much as I used to. I'm not too sure if all chocolate is beneficial but to be honest, everything you eat is beneficial if you eat the right amounts.

Oh and exercise It'll not only make you lose weight but it'll make you feel better, more confident and generally happy. When ever I have a crappy day I just go on a jog and I come back refreshed

ReputationRep:
      I think its impossible to give up chocolates, okay you can cut down on the amount you eat but stop eating them all together you've got to be kidding me.

ReputationRep:
      I rarely drink fizzy drinks, not a massive fan, but every now and again even I crave one. Just have them in moderation as a treat for doing something or when you go out on special occasions. I've got a huge sweet tooth too, but again cutting out full-stop is going to be hard. Work your way down. I started getting chomps instead of chocolate bars then having a couple of pieces of dark chocolate every now and again then just eating other things.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.