SG Writing Paragraph Plan Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    CAn anyone tell me a good paragraph plan for a personal essay :

example this is how far ive got

Introduction

Content

Conclusion

What would be under these headings for expmaple under Intro woul d be ao= good intro to grab attention.

Thsi is for the writing exam ( prelims soon )

ReputationRep:
    I am copying this from a post i made about a week ago.

Remember:

The examiner is not going to question your personal essay, as in, did that actually happen? Make it up if you need to!

Have you ever lost a loved one? <-- If you have, write about how this person inspired you, how you loved them so much, talk about your feelings before they died, during the time when they died, and how you feel now.

The above example applys to any personal reflectice essay.

Make a Statement:
    I never was too fond of roller-coasters, but i was about to face my biggest fear....

Feelings during it:
    ...As it swerved from corner to corner, my stomach was turning faster than the wheels of a ferrari.

Evaluate: [and how you feel now]
    ....It really was a traumatic experience, i never thought i would bring myself to go on it. Now after experiencing it though, the shear enjoyment i gained would probably lure me into another go the next time i come across a roller-coaster.

It is vital that you make use of several techniques to show your feelings etc, like similie,methaphor, onomatopoeia,imagery.

Example:
    It was frightening. His hair stood tall and his eyes were wide open. He looked like a crazy scientist who had just blown something up in their face.

What i said above is an example of how you could describe what someone looked like; i said " scientist....blown something up in their face ". That statement alone could create an image of someone very shell shocked and it could add humour.

Be inventive when showing your thoughts/feelings/opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I'm honest I've never really done a personal essay under timed conditions, I always (for some stupid reason... :/) choose the descriptive one.

Anyway, what our teacher always says to do is start in the middle of things and then give the back story. Not saying this is in any way better, but the way I would tackle the above example is:
    "As we darted from side to side along the thin rails, I felt as though time was ticking slower than imaginable. Each second lasted a lifetime." Throw the reader into the situation.
    "I hated roller coasters. How could anyone possibly consider them fun? Why had I even agreed to ride this one in the first place? It was all because of him. He convinced me." Explain how you got into the situation in the first place. Make sure you include loads of feelings/emotions (examiners love that )
    "That was it over. But I'll never forget that day. Those thrills; even though I've never been able to repeat the experience. The minute my legs were back onto solid ground I realised there had never been any danger present. It made me notice that things aren't always exactly what they seem. Sum up the whole thing; say how it affected you.

Oh and another thing, apparently it's better if you don't choose a massive event and over-dramatise it etc. Basically, one girl in our class wrote about forgetting her ipod on a train journey and got a 1 and his comments were pretty much: "Wow. Now that's what I call writing!" On the other hand, don't try and say that - I dunno - missing your favourite TV show has changed your entire life. Good luck btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:emily.)
    Well if I'm honest I've never really done a personal essay under timed conditions, I always (for some stupid reason... :/) choose the descriptive one.

Anyway, what our teacher always says to do is start in the middle of things and then give the back story. Not saying this is in any way better, but the way I would tackle the above example is:
    "As we darted from side to side along the thin rails, I felt as though time was ticking slower than imaginable. Each second lasted a lifetime." Throw the reader into the situation.
    "I hated roller coasters. How could anyone possibly consider them fun? Why had I even agreed to ride this one in the first place? It was all because of him. He convinced me." Explain how you got into the situation in the first place. Make sure you include loads of feelings/emotions (examiners love that )
    "That was it over. But I'll never forget that day. Those thrills; even though I've never been able to repeat the experience. The minute my legs were back onto solid ground I realised there had never been any danger present. It made me notice that things aren't always exactly what they seem. Sum up the whole thing; say how it affected you.

Oh and another thing, apparently it's better if you don't choose a massive event and over-dramatise it etc. Basically, one girl in our class wrote about forgetting her ipod on a train journey and got a 1 and his comments were pretty much: "Wow. Now that's what I call writing!" On the other hand, don't try and say that - I dunno - missing your favourite TV show has changed your entire life. Good luck btw!
    I deliberately didn't go into detail lol, it was intended just to show him the structure as in, the statement, feelings, conclusion :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inlineadam)
    I deliberately didn't go into detail lol, it was intended just to show him the structure as in, the statement, feelings, conclusion :P
    Oh no I wasn't criticising yours lol, just adding to it a bit, how I'd do it and stuff. I liked yours.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I wasn't criticising yours lol, just adding to it a bit, how I'd do it and stuff. I liked yours.
    I think the one problem with personal essays is that you can't or will find it very difficult to write a paragrah plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animelover123)
    I think the one problem with personal essays is that you can't or will find it very difficult to write a paragrah plan
    Yeah
    If you try to make one that will fit everything, it just ends up boring. But then if you don't have one, you get confused. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    If you try to make one that will fit everything, it just ends up boring. But then if you don't have one, you get confused. :confused:
    Yes thats why i am on here trying to ask people for advice I suppose thats why i am more leaning twards doing a discursive esssay because you can have a paragraph plan for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inlineadam)
    I am copying this from a post i made about a week ago.

Remember:

The examiner is not going to question your personal essay, as in, did that actually happen? Make it up if you need to!

Have you ever lost a loved one? <-- If you have, write about how this person inspired you, how you loved them so much, talk about your feelings before they died, during the time when they died, and how you feel now.

The above example applys to any personal reflectice essay.

Make a Statement:
    I never was too fond of roller-coasters, but i was about to face my biggest fear....

Feelings during it:
    ...As it swerved from corner to corner, my stomach was turning faster than the wheels of a ferrari.

Evaluate: [and how you feel now]
    ....It really was a traumatic experience, i never thought i would bring myself to go on it. Now after experiencing it though, the shear enjoyment i gained would probably lure me into another go the next time i come across a roller-coaster.

It is vital that you make use of several techniques to show your feelings etc, like similie,methaphor, onomatopoeia,imagery.

Example:
    It was frightening. His hair stood tall and his eyes were wide open. He looked like a crazy scientist who had just blown something up in their face.

What i said above is an example of how you could describe what someone looked like; i said " scientist....blown something up in their face ". That statement alone could create an image of someone very shell shocked and it could add humour.

Be inventive when showing your thoughts/feelings/opinions.
    This is great

I just wanted to add that apparently the people who mark your essay like that when at the end of the story the character changed in one way or another or learned something

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.