Change of visa category Watch

tint
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm currently a Tier 1 resident in the UK and hold a Sri Lankan license. The current permit started on the 09th of December and I was a student prior to this.

Would the grace period of 12 months for resident foreign drivers apply to me as I'm now in a new category? And would it be affected by me not having a re-entry into the country (which in the case of students the grace period is renewed I believe)?
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Please consult the DVLA or your International Student Office of your former university.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't have thought so. As far as I'm aware, to reset the clock, you'd need to be out of the country for 6, possibly even 12 months. A change of status is unlikely to reset it.
llpokermuffinll
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tint)
I'm currently a Tier 1 resident in the UK and hold a Sri Lankan license. The current permit started on the 09th of December and I was a student prior to this.

Would the grace period of 12 months for resident foreign drivers apply to me as I'm now in a new category? And would it be affected by me not having a re-entry into the country (which in the case of students the grace period is renewed I believe)?
Why is this in Motoring? Ever heard of categories and organisation? Typical Sri Lankan example!
tint
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for the replies guys.
What I find confusing is that the dvla states a period of 12 months from the date I first became resident. Which strictly speaking is the issue date of my current visa (since student leave is not categorised as 'resident').

@AnythingButChardonnay The 6/12 month reset time may apply to previous residents.

I did call the dvla but the lady I spoke to didn't give me a definite answer instead advised me to contact the home office.

Anyways thanks again for the replies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads