Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really confused on how to answer this chemistry AS level question:confused:

Q: 1Kg of a solution contains 0.100 mol of calcium ions, Ca 2+

What is the concentration of the calcium ions by mass in parts per million (ppm)?

[Assume the relative atomic mass of calcium is 40]

I have tried looking up the method to answer these types of questions in CGP and edexcel student book, but i still don't understand how to actually work out the answer to these ppm questions?

ReputationRep:
    Assume the relative molecular mass of water to be 18. That means that you have 1000 / 18 = 55.5 moles of water.
    Hence conc in ppm = 0.1 x 10^6 /55.5 = 1802 ppm

Ignore the above, it`s conc by amount :eek:

m(Ca2+) / m(H2O) = n(Ca2+)A(Ca2+) / m(H20) = 0.1x40 / 1000

Now, 0.1x40 / 1000 = x ppm = x /10^6

That gives x = 4000

ReputationRep:
    So ppm means how many units of a solute do you have in 1,000,000 units of the solvent.
    So you work out the Mass of Ca2+ ions that you have in the solution...
    So you have 1000g of solution, but as you need the mass of solute in 1,000,000 grams you need to multiply the answer by 1000.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16ARTER)
    I am really confused on how to answer this chemistry AS level question:confused:

Q: 1Kg of a solution contains 0.100 mol of calcium ions, Ca 2+

What is the concentration of the calcium ions by mass in parts per million (ppm)?

[Assume the relative atomic mass of calcium is 40]

I have tried looking up the method to answer these types of questions in CGP and edexcel student book, but i still don't understand how to actually work out the answer to these ppm questions?
    Work out the mass of calcium in 1 dm3 of solution.

You then have grams of calcium per 1000g of solution. However you want grams of calcium per 1,000,000, so multiply by 1000.

EDIT: hmmmmm, looks like the xmas pudding has slowed me up...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, it makes sense now! I just didn't get the general formula

answer was 4000ppm!
    Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.