The Student Room Group

Thinking of quitting college

==
(edited 12 years ago)
Just do A-Levels instead, even if it's in September.
Reply 2
Enroll in a college which offers your subjects next september. If you're not happy, you prolly won't do as well as you could. Heck, try finding a college which will let you enroll this coming term, my friend got a place for the coming term at a new college because she was in the same kind of predicament, but she's not doing A-levels as it was too late. So prolly september for you. :smile:
Reply 3
Move to a different college
Reply 4
I can't really enrol in a different college. There's not really any other places in my area, plus i'm over 19 so it's really limited. This was my only choice of college.
Original post by Kash:)
I am doing an Applied Science BTEC and I hate it. I wish I was doing A Levels, but the college stopped doing the ones I wanted to do so I had to switch to this.

I don't want to quit, but I hate the course. The only reason I would stay is because I like the people in my class and I like the actual college, but it's the course. I'm fed up with it.

:sad:

Why dont you enroll at a college for september that does a-levels (and the ones you want). Or if you cant do a-levels anywhere for whatever reason, enroll on a different course for september for the college you are at. In the meantime carry on with the course you are doing for the rest of this year. At least you will get something out of it- even if its not the full qualification.
If you dont enjoy your course, you wont do as well. I would say swap courses now- but i think it may be a bit late for that.
Hope this helps.
Reply 6
First of all you probably will get a qualification if you finish this year assuming this is your first BTEC year and you're studying towards a level 3 diploma (so you'll either get a BTEC nat award or a certificate each will land you some UCAS points).

It will also look a lot better on you and your CV if you do not have this year as a blank-- wasted. Instead if you complete the year and obtain the qualification you can in future say you believed the course was not for you and it'll show you can see this academic year through to the end. And the next course you apply to, you can say that you're not a drop out, 'cause you did finish the year and got a qualification. If you are adamant on quitting, assuming this is your first year that is, do so now. That way you'll only have used up a few months of your time-- you can claim some job seekers and look towards working for awhile until Sept.

How different are the A-levels you wanted to study, as in, if you want to go to university will the BTEC get you in to the same course as the A-levels (would have done)? If they're totally different and A levels aren't offered maybe there's an ACCESS course or a Cert of HE you could do. A decent Cert of HE will cover the essentials of A levels. Your current college not offering the A levels you want is disappointing and I don't know where you live but if traveling further out and going to a different college is an option would you consider it?

Anyways the decision is YOURS. Some things people can/ do say can lead you to making the choice you may not of wanted/ want to. I hope you get to where you want to be.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending