Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fit to fight, fit for life! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Doing Rippetoes -

Height: 6ft
    Starting weight (as of 30/12/10): 167lbs

Current weight: 178lbs (last updated 04/02/11)

Starting lifts

Squat - 50kg
    Deadlift - 80kg
    Bent-Over Rows - 35kg
    Bench Press - 40kg
    Overhead Press - 27.5kg

Current lifts: (last updated 04/02/11):

Squat - 90kg
    Deadlift - 110kg
    Bent-Over Rows - 45kg (? - don't know 5RM)
    Bench Press - 60kg
    Overhead Press - 42.5kg

Targets for 01/05/11:

Squat - 100kg
    Bench - 80kg
    Deadlift - 140kg

ReputationRep:
    In to watch...

Similiar lifts to me so should be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    First workout session 29/12/10:

Squat: 3x5 -50kg (easy)
    Bench Press: 3x5 - 40kg (easy)
    Deadlift: 1x5 - 90kg (hard, but manageable)
    Pullups: 3x5 - Unweighted

Gonna add 2.5kg each session.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B:

Squat: 52.5kg - 3x5 (easy, but my legs ache - hoping that will stop)
    Rows: 37.5kg - 3x5 (frustratingly easy, a bit pointless)
    OH Press: 27.5kg - 3x5 (easy)
    Pullups: Unweighted - 3x5 (bloody difficult, almost failed on the last)

I probably need to eat more - I've only just started but I don't eat very much. There's about 1.5 litres of milk in the fridge that goes off today, so I'm gonna sit down, do some coursework and try and drink it all.

I know it may seem pointless in me doing weights which I find easy - I just find it easier to motivate myself when it seems I'm constantly making progress, especially in the first 3 or 4 weeks, as they're the hardest for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blutarsky)
    Workout B:

Squat: 52.5kg - 3x5 (easy, but my legs ache - hoping that will stop)
    Rows: 37.5kg - 3x5 (frustratingly easy, a bit pointless)
    OH Press: 27.5kg - 3x5 (easy)
    Pullups: Unweighted - 3x5 (bloody difficult, almost failed on the last)

I probably need to eat more - I've only just started but I don't eat very much. There's about 1.5 litres of milk in the fridge that goes off today, so I'm gonna sit down, do some coursework and try and drink it all.

I know it may seem pointless in me doing weights which I find easy - I just find it easier to motivate myself when it seems I'm constantly making progress, especially in the first 3 or 4 weeks, as they're the hardest for me.
    Disagree - Rip always says to start low to build form and so you get used to adding weight. Just make sure the weight keeps going up and while it's easy lock down good form

ReputationRep:
    Diet:

Muesli - 250kcal
    Tuna pasta with mayo - 500kcal
    1200ml Milk (4 glasses) - 600kcal
    3/4 Bottles of water - 0kcal
    Meat/fish with vegetables - Dno..

I have the milk whenever I feel hungry. Might get some chicken bits to eat randomly as a snack. I could do with eating about 2200/2300kcal a day. My BMR is approximately 1700.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Disagree - Rip always says to start low to build form and so you get used to adding weight. Just make sure the weight keeps going up and while it's easy lock down good form
    Ah that makes sense I suppose. Form gets sloppier as the weight goes up I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I'm joining the Navy in September and I want to be fitter for when I start training as they run you ragged. Gonna do Starting Strength with pull ups added in (I'm sure you all know it by now):

Workout A:

Squat 3x5
    Bench Press 3x5
    Deadlit 1x5
    Pullups 3x5

Workout B:

Squat 3x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Rows 3x5
    Pullups 3x5

I'm starting off lifting REALLY light weights, to restart. I started lifting about a year ago, kept it up for about 3 months and stopped when I broke my wrist playing 5-a-side football, so I've pretty much lost what little I gained by now. I could do with having a better physique as well - shape myself with muscle as opposed to fat. I'll post a picture...

Height: 6ft
    Weight: 167lbs

Current lifts: (last updated 31/12/10):

Squat - 52.5kg
    Deadlift - 90kg
    Barbell row - 37.5kg
    Bench Press - 40kg
    Overhead Press - 27.5kg
    Pull ups - Unweighted

Targets for 01/05/11:

Squat - 90kg
    Deadlift - 120kg
    Bench Press - 70kg
    I'm joining the marines when I've done my degree. I've done a lot of research on what training you need to do to get into the marines and the navy. I would advise you to focus more on fitness than weightlifting. Start running and swimming and do push ups and pull ups. If you go on the navy website or to your local afco they'll give you a training ragime to do. Weights are a great thing to do, I do them a lot too but they are not essential for the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    I'm joining the marines when I've done my degree. I've done a lot of research on what training you need to do to get into the marines and the navy. I would advise you to focus more on fitness than weightlifting. Start running and swimming and do push ups and pull ups. If you go on the navy website or to your local afco they'll give you a training ragime to do. Weights are a great thing to do, I do them a lot too but they are not essential for the military.
    Nice one! Have you got a reserved place or what?

You're right in saying that though. I'm doing the weights to get bigger and because I enjoy them really. I play hockey and 5-a-side football, so I'll keep my fitness levels ticking over whilst I fill out a bit. During the summer when I'm stronger, I'll start running.
    I managed 11.10 on the bleep test at my AIB without any training (of course, I didn't say that in the interview) which was a month ago. I'd love to get 12.2+ at BRNC so I can qualify as 'very good' by the RN's standards :p:

I suppose as a bootie you've got to be strong, fit and a bit mental

ReputationRep:
    Nice one! Have you got a reserved place or what?

You're right in saying that though. I'm doing the weights to get bigger and because I enjoy them really. I play hockey and 5-a-side football, so I'll keep my fitness levels ticking over whilst I fill out a bit. During the summer when I'm stronger, I'll start running.
    I managed 11.10 on the bleep test at my AIB without any training (of course, I didn't say that in the interview) which was a month ago. I'd love to get 12.2+ at BRNC so I can qualify as 'very good' by the RN's standards :p:

I suppose as a bootie you've got to be strong, fit and a bit mental
    Well if your getting 11.10 on the bleep then you are fit enough already, am i right in thinking the pass mark for the navy is around 10.

I haven't got a place yet I haven't even started uni yet lol, I'm on a gap year. But I'm going to apply for student sponsership for royal marines officer. That way I'll have a place when I finish my degree and you get a little bursary off of them to help with your studies. That is if the govt don't decide to cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    Well if your getting 11.10 on the bleep then you are fit enough already, am i right in thinking the pass mark for the navy is around 10.

I haven't got a place yet I haven't even started uni yet lol, I'm on a gap year. But I'm going to apply for student sponsership for royal marines officer. That way I'll have a place when I finish my degree and you get a little bursary off of them to help with your studies. That is if the govt don't decide to cut it.
    Pass mark for the RN is 9.10 - easy

You should probably apply now - it's not a quick process as I'm sure you've been told. I just got the one year scholarship for the Navy. It totals £1500 for going to college and a further £1500 when I enter training in September. Lowe uni :p:

The government won't cut it - don't you worry about that. If they offer it to you, it means you're what they're looking for so in their eyes, it's an investment. If you don't join up after Uni, you pay it back - simple really.

ReputationRep:
    Pass mark for the RN is 9.10 - easy

You should probably apply now - it's not a quick process as I'm sure you've been told. I just got the one year scholarship for the Navy. It totals £1500 for going to college and a further £1500 when I enter training in September. Lowe uni :p:

The government won't cut it - don't you worry about that. If they offer it to you, it means you're what they're looking for so in their eyes, it's an investment. If you don't join up after Uni, you pay it back - simple really.
    Yeah I'll start looking to apply soon. The good thing is you can apply at anytime during your degree. I'm not to bothered about the money really, I'm only doing it for a reserved place on the rm poc. I don't feel I'm quite ready to go through the interview process yet anyway. I want to get some more leadership experience under my belt, so i'll be looking to do some more voluntary leadership work between now and when I start uni, then I'll apply. I'm just trying to prepare as much as i can really.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A:

Squat: 55kg (easy)
    Deadlift: 80kg (a lot easier than 90, reduced due to poor form cos the bar is so low)
    Bench Press: 47.5kg (getting harder :p:... god I'm weak)
    Pullups: 3x5 (so much easier after a weekend's rest)

Had 5-a-side football match and a late night so I wasn't as full of energy as I could have been. Bought an oly bar with 165kg worth of weight plates. Gonna sell my standard set I got from a Polish dude on eBay.

So far, I'm happy with low weight to get my form sorted. It also means I don't ache as much which is good. However, I'd really like to see my lifts shoot up soon - better hit the fridge I guess

ReputationRep:
    Diet:

Muesli - 250kcal
    Tuna pasta with mayo - 500kcal
    1200ml Milk (4 glasses) - 600kcal
    3/4 Bottles of water - 0kcal
    Meat/fish with vegetables - Dno..

I have the milk whenever I feel hungry. Might get some chicken bits to eat randomly as a snack. I could do with eating about 2200/2300kcal a day. My BMR is approximately 1700.
    No you need to eat more. Your BMR should be multiplied by your activity level and THEN you add 500 calories. 2,800-3,000 is what you should be eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    No you need to eat more. Your BMR should be multiplied by your activity level and THEN you add 500 calories. 2,800-3,000 is what you should be eating.
    **** really? Thanks for the heads up.

It seems eating is the hardest part of weight lifting :p:

ReputationRep:
    Workout B:

Squat 60kg 5 5 5(feeling heavier, still very manageable though)
    Press 30kg 5 5 5(easy, I quite like these)
    Rows 47.5kg 5 3 1 (wish a revised form, far too heavy)
    Pullups 5 5 3 (arms very tired...)

I've had a bad couple of days, skipped dinner last night and went to bed REALLY late. Didn't have a proper lunch today and I'm generally stressed out with revision and coursework. Need to get eating and sleeping if I am going to survive :p:

Eating and sleeping really are my main problems - I don't really have the appetite to stuff my face full of 3000 calories a day and I get bogged down in the evenings with work. I guess a bit of manning up is in order
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    January isn't the best of times for training if you've got exams, it's okay, your degree is more important that your total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    January isn't the best of times for training if you've got exams, it's okay, your degree is more important that your total.
    Spot on. Study first.

ReputationRep:
    Won 9-0 at hockey today and scored a cracker, straining my groin a bit in the process. It's ok to squat on though, so no big deal!

Missed my workout yesterday, so I went for it today.

Workout A:

Squat: 62.5kg 5 5 5 (easy, feeling heavier on my back though)
    Bench: 52.5kg 5 5 5 (surprisingly easy)
    Deadlift: 85kg 5 (easy, felt good!)

Missed out pullups, cba. I will probably add them in again later.
    I really want to push for a 77.5kg squat and a 100kg deadlift, that'd be awesome! Today was the first time I actually felt stronger - On Monday, 47.5kg bench felt heavy, I increased it to 52.5 today and it was easy. I'll shove it up to 57.5kg next Wednesday, be a bit cocky

The away team didn't show up for their free meal after the game (cos we beat the **** out of them) so we had to eat the food. Some of the older guys weren't interested, so 4 of us had to eat 15 people's food. Needless to say, I had 6 bacon and sausage rolls.

I'd love to be 75kg and lean. That's my next aim after 'get strong' - get lean.

ReputationRep:
    you look familiar in that picture for some reason (no homo) and i really don't know why

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.