Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quick AS Chem Question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    It's from Paper 1 Edexcel, in the Multiple choice section:

17.1 g of aluminium sulfate, Al2(SO4)3, was dissolved in water.
    Calculate the number of sulfate ions, SO4(2–), present in the solution formed.
    [Assume the molar mass of Al2(SO4)3 is 342 g mol–1 and the Avogadro Constant is
    6 × 10^23 mol–1.]

A 3 × 10^21

B 1 × 10^22

C 3 × 10^22

D 9 × 10^22

Now I did (17.1/342) x 6x10^23 which gave C, but that isn't the right answer when I checked in the mark scheme, it's actually D.
    Could someone just show me the extra step to get to that answer? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    17.1/342 is the amount of Al2(SO4)3 in mol. However, each Al2(SO4)3 particle produces 3 (SO4)2- ions on dissolving. Hence the correct answer is your answer multiplied by 3.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right! I thought I was on the right lines but I didn't see what to do next. I absolutely loathe multiple choice haha, cheers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.