Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What are the best things to eat before starting intense exercise?

And also...

How long should I wait after eating to start intense exercise?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I eat a banana before working out for the slow energy release.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Hey,

What are the best things to eat before starting intense exercise?

And also...

How long should I wait after eating to start intense exercise?

Thanks!
    Don't worry about it, if you're eating a proper balanced diet full of complex carbs it isn't going to make much of a difference. A large, balanced meal two to three hours before is most important. Many people have different ideas about what to eat directly before but a piece of fruit and water is all I have and no complaints here.

ReputationRep:
    complex carbs

ReputationRep:
    a whey protein shake(the lightest i have tried - Optimun Nutrition 100%Whey) with a banana and oats.After one hour you will have one of your best workouts

ReputationRep:
    For muscle protein synthesis, it's best to eat a good protein source an hour or so pre-workout. If there's the possibility that you might be partially glycogen depleted (ie in a fasted morning workout, or long gaps between meals), then a carb source is a good idea too.

Just to easily cover both bases, have a whey protein shake made in milk with some nesquik about an hour or so pre-work out. That way, you'll have plenty of carbs to fuel your session, AND already have the amino acids in your system as in when your muscles get 'damaged'. Clearly, this is 'faster' than getting protein postworkout.

It seems like the nutrient timing might be more important to get the protein shake preworkout than it is post workout. Post workout, just eat a big varied meal with everything in it. The whole 'carbs post workout' is most important if you really need to train hard again very quickly (ie before 24 hours), otherwise glycogen repletion is fully complete after 24 hours no matter when/what you eat (except ketogenic).

I also like to take caffeine preworkout too, lots of good research and anecdotal practical evidence for caffeine pre-workout. You could take proplus, but I just put a big heap of Nescafe instant coffee granules in my preworkout shake.

I know this is starting to sound all complicated, but it basically boils down to this: whey, milk, chocolate powder and coffee before training. Then a big meal after. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    food

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.