Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ditched all my friends, now seeing facebook pictures of them together, i feel sad Watch

Long story short i stopped talking to my friends from high school because i felt generally unhappy, things they said/did were very cruel, im now in my second year of college. At the beginning of 2010 i thought ditching them would be alright, yes i would have no friends to celebrate my 18th and new years with, but i though that because uni is only around the corner i should cope fine with it, however im really not and i don't know what to do. Ive completely changed as a person, im no longer the tag along/ "seat filler" that they saw me as when i was around them. i don't use facebook whatsoever, i only log on now and again, today i logged on and i saw facebook pictures of them all together and it made me really sad, i don't miss them because i realise they probably didnt see me as a friend, i just miss/ crave having friends to talk to/ hang out with, although i managed to convince myself that uni is only around the corner i realise that it actually isn't and i will be friendless for what should be "milestones" in my life e.g my 18th and the months that follow....

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just make new friends?

I have made some friends at my college, but they all have their own tightly knit groups of friends that they have come from high school with so it will be too hard and too late to try and fit in.

My exams are taking priority at the moment and i also have a part time job, so i have no time to join a club as such, and even if i wanted to there is literally nothing available...

(Original post by Captain92)
    Well, I'd say focus on your exams for now, because they are important. Once the January rush is over you can start thinking more about trying to make closer friends? I was in a similar situation at my school because I'm doing an extra year and most of my friends have now left to go to university. I knew about 4 people out of 300ish in September lol. Luckily I'd known one girl for about 15 years so I stuck with her until I met people in lessons.
    Are you a very "people person" or more introverted, if you don't mind me asking?
    I would say i was introverted as a person, but at the same time i do speak quite a bit to people in my classes, there is not a lesson where i have no one to speak to so i guess im not an extreme introvert, but at the same time if i didnt have anyone to speak to sitting on my own wouldnt bother me at all, i actually prefer it at times i dont need to be around people the majority of the time. Its just i hate having no "real" out of the classroom friends if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Long story short i stopped talking to my friends from high school because i felt generally unhappy, things they said/did were very cruel, im now in my second year of college. At the beginning of 2010 i thought ditching them would be alright, yes i would have no friends to celebrate my 18th and new years with, but i though that because uni is only around the corner i should cope fine with it, however im really not and i don't know what to do. Ive completely changed as a person, im no longer the tag along/ "seat filler" that they saw me as when i was around them. i don't use facebook whatsoever, i only log on now and again, today i logged on and i saw facebook pictures of them all together and it made me really sad, i don't miss them because i realise they probably didnt see me as a friend, i just miss/ crave having friends to talk to/ hang out with, although i managed to convince myself that uni is only around the corner i realise that it actually isn't and i will be friendless for what should be "milestones" in my life e.g my 18th and the months that follow....
    Work hard and get good grades for uni, keep yourself motivated.
    This moment WILL PASS and good times will be ahead if you get good grades for uni.
    I can imagine for you going to uni will be like a social reset button nobody knows anybody so it will be too easy to make friends.
    Good luck!

(Original post by DivinityofReason)
    Work hard and get good grades for uni, keep yourself motivated.
    This moment WILL PASS and good times will be ahead if you get good grades for uni.
    I can imagine for you going to uni will be like a social reset button nobody knows anybody so it will be too easy to make friends.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for your positivity, i am looking forward to uni it's my motivation for getting through these next few months, it's just sometimes i feel a bit depressed at my situation to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that university is around the corner. That is your chance to make new friends. For now focus on your exams. Also, if you've just seen the pictures recently then its fair enough that you feel like that, but I'm sure the feelings will subside

Yeah I saw the pictures like an hour ago, so it did make me feel a bit depressed

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.