Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls! How much was your car insurance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my test in January and hoping to pass! *wish me luck*

Looking at buying a small, cheap car for the first year or so.

How much insurance did you pay for your first year and what car was it? I'm being quoted around £1400 for cars worth £500!

Thanks in advance :-D

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Thats actually quite good for a first car/new driver. A lot of people on here have paid far more than that. If you have a look at the motoring forum you'll see for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    That's usually the way it is... Mine's around £1200 or something for my Renault Clio.

ReputationRep:
    My first year cost almost £900 I think, which is cheap for a first year! I'm with Diamond, I think I just have a higher excess to lower the cost (:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck hun!,

My insurance is £800 on a mk4 golf, however it's my sisters, so i share with her,

hope you pass your test! x

ReputationRep:
    howdy! prepare yourself for a (number-filled ****-tide of informations ;D!

insurance in 2007, bought a day after i passed my test (passed test 2nd april 2007)
    *car = 1993/k peugeot 205 1.8 diesel (not turbocharged version)
    *cost of insurance = £585

insurance in 2008 (with 1 years ncb)
    *car = 2008/08 fiat 500, 1.3 diesel 'sport'
    *cost of insurance = £404

insurance in 2009 (with 2 years ncb)
    *cost of insurance = £370

insurance this year (with 3 years ncb)
    *cost of insurance = £258

insurance in 2011 = ....who knows.

notes:
    *insurance quote for 2007 was just for me (no named drivers), third party fire + theift; insurance for 2008 + 2009 was again with no named driver (family not living in england at the time), but fully comprehensive; this year is my policy, still fully comprehensive, but with my mum + dad as named drivers
    *every year i have kept my car in a garaged place
    *both cars never modified
    *excess always of 500£
    *every year i put mileage for 40,000 miles a year
    *always paid in one go, not monthly installments
    *....i have not got pass plus

GOOD LUCKS ON YOUR TEST ((((: x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sizzzla112)
    I'm taking my test in January and hoping to pass! *wish me luck*

Looking at buying a small, cheap car for the first year or so.

How much insurance did you pay for your first year and what car was it? I'm being quoted around £1400 for cars worth £500!

Thanks in advance :-D
    I paid £1062, fully comp, to insure my punto last march (when i still had my punto). This was with tesco.

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly what I was quoted on my 12 year old Corsa. I can't afford to pay that so my mum insures it with me as a named driver - this costs me something like £740.

ReputationRep:
    First year £560 for a 1.9 Diesel. With Quinn, 3rd party F&T. Surprised how cheap it was, if I go on a comparison website it's quoting me £1500 upwards for the same cover..so my advice is to get a relationship with whoever you had a provisional licence with, and ring them up. Quinn even included my provisional year as a years no claims. Woop.

ReputationRep:
    £850 fully comp 54 plate Peugeot 206 with Admiral

ReputationRep:
    1st year was a 2004 nissan micra fully comp and main driver - £918 but was for only 10months. One of them bonus accelerator things.

Now I have 60reg fiat panda and pay £800 and something. Again fully comp and main driver. And I have 1 years no claims bonus and pass plus.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was with Green Insurance for £600 for an old 97' Corsa. Third party, fire and theft, I think. I was 23 so that helped a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I only passed my test this year and my insurance was £700 fully comp for a 09 fiat 500 with admiral I am also the main driver, and 19 years old, good luck with your test!

ReputationRep:
    £600 Fully comp for a year. with admiral this is for a '10 audi a3 1.4 tfsi - named driver.
    I also have a slightly high excess which is probably why it is quite cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I was £740 fully comp for a 54 plate Vauxhall Corsa. Though I was 22 by the time I bought my own car and had held my full licence for five years.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was around £900 for a Ford Ka

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.