Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone help me with my English coursework?

The question is who is more of a monster Victor or his creation. I have a few ideas just wondered if anyone could suggest anything though.

Would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I haven't read the book in a while but I was v.interested in it so I'll try to help but I won't be able to be too specific for you sorry.

It could be argued it is Victor because at the end of the day it is Victor's fault that the 'monster' exists - through his greed and ambition (sins). Also Victor flees from his creations and shuns him - effectively abandoning this creature who has just been born so can be depicted as a defenseless baby. Victor, in creating the monster, has a responsibility to him - to love and care for him - a responsibility he fails to comply with.
    Also the monster just wants to be with Victor - he is naturally good. There are a few scenes to back this up - one where he is envious of a family he's watching and how he just tries to help them and a few powerful speeches from the monster himself. He only turns evil as a result of the treatment from Victor and other humans.

The basic arguement for the monster being the monster would be that he is not a human therefore he defies nature so he is a monster in that context. His appearence and lack of speech (at first) also would be points as they are gothic conventions of 'monster' characters. And also the fact he turns all murderous - he kills Victor's family even though they have done nothing to him personally.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Here are just a few of my ideas:

Victor Frankenstein abandons his creation when it is not the beautiful thing he envisioned, calling it a 'vile creature' and a 'fiend'. His selfish ambition gets the better of him.
    The monster is obviously a visually horrible creature, but although he commits terrible crimes, you could argue that he's sort of like a child; can he really be held accountable for his behaviour when he has never been taught, and has been rejected by everyone he has ever met? I think he's isolated and marginalised by society, just looking for acceptance. His physicallity kind of reflects this; he's made up of body parts of many other people, when he's just searching for his own identity within humankind. I actually feel a lot of sympathy for him.

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.