Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering which one to sign up for FT is 130 Economist is like 89 per year? Economist comes in paper form within that price? thanks.

Some points why will be great

ReputationRep:
    do a trial for each ft: get 4 weeks for £1 and economist 12 weeks for £12 then you can choose

ReputationRep:
    financial times

the economist is a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    The Economist FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    do a trial for each ft: get 4 weeks for £1 and economist 12 weeks for £12 then you can choose
    ahh i thought they might keep charging you after the £12 trial?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The FT all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
    Just wondering which one to sign up for FT is 130 Economist is like 89 per year? Economist comes in paper form within that price? thanks.
    The Economist.....it's actually interesting

ReputationRep:
    i should of done a poll DOH!

ReputationRep:
    i should of done a poll DOH!
    Do one now!!:-)

ReputationRep:
    They are completely different magazines as far as I am concerned, don't know about anyone else

ReputationRep:
    The Economist any time for the day.

The FT bores me, actually, I've never been able to read it properly.

ReputationRep:
    The FT is £39 a quarter if you are a student https://www.ftlatest.com/bs-educatio...asp?source=732

39*4=156

Where did you get the 130 price from?

To answer your question - the FT is better, the economist is quite fun to read but the topics that it covers are usualy really obscure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    The FT is £39 a quarter if you are a student https://www.ftlatest.com/bs-educatio...asp?source=732

39*4=156

Where did you get the 130 price from?

To answer your question - the FT is better, the economist is quite fun to read but the topics that it covers are usualy really obscure.
    hmm agreed, FT i got just for the online 129 however do they deliver the newspaper to your door with 156? or just the enewspaper?

ReputationRep:
    ahh i thought they might keep charging you after the £12 trial?
    cancel it before they take your money mine expires in feb- last year they had it for only a pound though

ReputationRep:
    hmm agreed, FT i got just for the online 129 however do they deliver the newspaper to your door with 156? or just the enewspaper?
    Its the enewspaper, ft online and you get vouchers for the physical paper - you can redeem them at your student union or newsagents

ReputationRep:
    Do free FT subscriptions for students not exist anymore?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It’s hard for us to tell you what to go for… they’re both very different. The FT is pretty much a newspaper with a heavy focus on the financial markets, the business world, and current affairs. The Economist, however, is more political and current affairs focused, with any economics-related article being policy based; I think it could easily be summed up as being equivalent to the column section of a newspaper.

They both have their place, and personally I think it’s worth subscribing to both. That said, if you can only afford one, go for the FT since you do get some commentary in their column section, and it’s far more important for you to keep abreast of the facts within the economy and form your own opinions than read those of other people.

ReputationRep:
    Do what was suggested and do a trial session of each periodical.

I'm a subscriber of both and as much as I enjoy the Economist I would definitely urge you to prioritise the FT. I'm on a student price of £40-ish per quarter and that gives me the paper delivered every morning (except Sunday's) and full access of their website - which is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    The Economist offers fantastic summaries of the most important macro/micro and asset-class/sector trends. If you want to go into banking, you probably won't need to read much else. That said, it doesn't offer the company news which is rampant in the FT Markets section. On the other hand the FT takes too long to read and the Economist contains too much geo-political riff that is irrelevant to most people.... and of course the FT's Lex Column is fantastic.

I'm probably going to stick with Economist (economic trends) + Bloomberg (M&A activity etc)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.