Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone know about Hybrid bikes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So this year (more due to financial reasons!) I have decided to ditch the tube, get my ass on the bike and cancel my gym membership.

I am looking to get a Hybrid bike for my 20 mile (round trip) commute though central London. Budget up to £350... anyone got any suggestions on what to get or even what to look for???

Would greatly appreciate any advice xx
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey Naomib,

I got a Hybrid bike not that long ago, and whilst it was a bit more than £350, both my dad and mate of mine got hybrids around that price (below that actually...I think).

The impression I got was you can easily get a good bike for that amount, especially using it for a 20 mile commute (not too taxing I hope!).

When I was looking for mine, I really knew very little about bikes and their spec's.. they can be quite baffling to most us.
    So I simply went into an Evans store (http://www.evanscycles.com/stores) and basically said "this is my budget, this is what I want to use it for, what would you recommend?" and the guys there were really helpful and knew their stuff. Best to go during the week though, for sure. Saturday staff not always so good. I also went to a couple of independant shops for som advice before picking mine.

I ended up getting a Specialized (which I love) but have also had good experiences with Trek and (briefly) with Giant. I would definitely recommend nipping into an Evans or other bike shop that stock numerous brands and get some advice. You may even grab a bargain in the sales :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help CJ,

There is an Evans not far from where I study so might pop in on my return. my only worry is my budget being so low!

As for the 20 mile commute being too taxing.. unfortunatly in the position of get the tube that week or eat that week and i kinda like eating, so left with little choice ha ha. I currently do regular 10 mile runs so hopefully it won't be too much of a killer (fingers crossed).

ReputationRep:
    Get a second hand one and bring along a friend who knows a bit about bike maintanence. Buy friend drink as thank you = save lots of money.

If you can run 10 miles, you can ride 20 easily. Might be painful at first as different muscles involved. Just keep the cadence high.

Aim for skinnier tyres and avoid knobbly stuff. I wouldn't use racing style tyres (22mm-ish) but don't use mountain bike ones either as it'd sap your energy a lot.

You should get a decent hybrid 2nd hand for £100 I would imagine.

The nice thing about a second hand hybrid is that it is unlikely to have the wear/tear on components issue you'd have buying a racing bike off a serious roadie.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.