Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you do, would you be willing to up some in this thread. I am interested in reading some unpublished fiction written by those of a similar age and situation.

ReputationRep:
    aye, i write some short stories, mostly realistic.

what do you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    aye, i write some short stories, mostly realistic.

what do you write?
    aside from angry letters and posts, nothing. I would like to read your short stories, and those of others.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to write short stories more than anything else, although they vary in length from tiny viginettes to stories which are so long they are practically novellas.

From what I have observed from my own stories, the shorter ones tend to be more autobiographical whereas the longer stories become increasingly fantastical as they increase in length, with characters and situations that belong to a realm in between reality and a nocturnal dreamworld.

It was interesting to read some of Jorge Luis Borges' stories recently as even though I disliked some of them, he really mastered the short story form. I also realised that I had previously attempted some of the ideas he used, though of course, my writing does not stand up compared to someone of his standard.

Only once have I ever completed a short story that I felt truly happy with and would be willing to publish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually hoping to collect some of my short stories into a compendium, and try and get it self-published just so I can sit something on my bookshelf with my name on it!

I might throw some up on here eventually, but for the time being, I hope you can see why I'd rather keep them offline.

What do you write about OP? My writing tastes vary massively! Most of my short stories are in some way related to each other - be it via the same building in different eras, colleagues of protagonists etc. But the style, genre and direction are all massively different. From post-apocalyptic dissections of human society, to contemporary love stories. Most however, are just the scribbled down notions of a mad man

EDIT : Why the hell was this negged?! Bring back the TSR of '06!

ReputationRep:
    I do.

Why don't you try reading some fanfiction? http://www.fanfiction.net
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I do, but they need a lot of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    I would like to read your short stories, and those of others.
    So get some Granta anthologies and start reading then.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people often write short stories on the Internet.

I often commend them with "cool story bro".

ReputationRep:
    I do but mine are genreless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.