Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here it is:

Does n(1-(1/n))^2 - n tends to 0 or to -2 ?
    I find different reuslts each time

Thanks!
    • PS Helper

I get -2... I'm not sure how you'd get 0. Factorise it and see what cancels.

ReputationRep:

how did you get 0?

ReputationRep:
    well yeah I got -2 here (cause you can factorise and see it) but I think I confused myself when I had an arbitrary a>1 rather than 2, what I mean is:

n(1-(1/n))^a - n

Do you find that it tends to -a ? (and how)

thanks.
    • PS Helper

(Original post by hitheuk)
    well yeah I got -2 here (cause you can factorise and see it) but I think I confused myself when I had an arbitrary a>1 rather than 2, what I mean is:

n(1-(1/n))^a - n

Do you find that it tends to -a ? (and how)

thanks.
    Write n=-\dfrac{1}{h} and factorise it, then take the limit as h \to 0 (which is the same limit as n \to \infty)... what does this new limit look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    Write n=-\dfrac{1}{h} and factorise it, then take the limit as h \to 0 (which is the same limit as n \to \infty)... what does this new limit look like?
    well theway I was doing is:

(1-(1/n))^a tends to 1 when n tends to infinity.
    Then n( (1-(1/n))^a ) - n tends to n.1-n which tends to 0.

Where is the mistake ?
    • PS Helper

well theway I was doing is:

(1-(1/n))^a tends to 1 when n tends to infinity.
    Then n( (1-(1/n))^a ) - n tends to n.1-n which tends to 0.

Where is the mistake ?
    Your mistake is in taking the limit at two separate points. What you've done is take a limit (of the bracket), simplify (to give n-n=0) and then take another limit -- you can't do that. Alternatively, you might have taken a limit (of the bracket), then split the limits to give \lim n - \lim n, and tried to subtract infinity from itself... which is never a good idea.

When you're taking limits, you can only use the rules \lim (a_nb_n) = \lim a_n \lim b_n and \lim (a_n + b_n) = \lim a_n + \lim b_n when a_n and b_n both converge. Here, this doesn't happen, since a_n=n doesn't converge as n \to \infty.

ReputationRep:
    Your mistake is in taking the limit at two separate points. What you've done is take a limit (of the bracket), simplify (to give n-n=0) and then take another limit -- you can't do that. Alternatively, you might have taken a limit (of the bracket), then split the limits to give \lim n - \lim n, and tried to subtract infinity from itself... which is never a good idea.

When you're taking limits, you can only use the rules \lim (a_nb_n) = \lim a_n \lim b_n and \lim (a_n + b_n) = \lim a_n + \lim b_n when a_n and b_n both converge. Here, this doesn't happen, since a_n=n doesn't converge as n \to \infty.
    Ok thanks.

So I get (1/h) [1-(1+h)^a] and then the first bit goes to infinity and the second bit to 0 when h tends to 0 ...
    • PS Helper

Ok thanks.

So I get (1/h) [1-(1+h)^a] and then the first bit goes to infinity and the second bit to 0 when h tends to 0 ...
    Would it look more familiar if you wrote it as:
    \displaystyle -\lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{(1+h)^a - 1^a}{h} ?

ReputationRep:
    Would it look more familiar if you wrote it as:
    \displaystyle -\lim_{h \to 0} \dfrac{(1+h)^a - 1^a}{h} ?
    Derivative of the function - (1+x)^a at zero ! So the answer is - a
    • PS Helper

Derivative of the function - (1+x)^a at zero ! So the answer is - a
    Correct!

Alternatively you could have used a Taylor expansion for (1-\frac{1}{n})^a, but this way's more fun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.