The Student Room Group

predicted grades ucas IB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft
Thanks.
(Though if this is the case, I don't see why less conscientious applicants couldn't just choose to misrepresent themselves :s-smilie:)

And I think the reference/predicted grades process differs more on the basis of whether you're an 'individual' applicant or applying through a centre rather than whether you're a UK or international applicant.

Yes, the reference/predicted grades difference is based on whether your application is made individually or through a school. Most international applicants apply individually though, that's why I said what I said. :smile:

Theoretically, lying about your predictions is absolutely possible. But it isn't a wise move and will probably fail one way or the other. Let's say you're a C-average student. The grades you got in your high school classes will reflect that (I doubt anyone would bother fabricating their GCSEs or equivalent on UCAS since you have to present your actual certificates at a later point). Now if your exam predictions are suddenly straight A's with no explanations from your referee then experienced admissions tutors will probably be able to tell there's something suspicious going on and it's unlikely you'd get an offer. Or another scenario: they will give you an offer, but if you're a not straight-A material then come results day you will fail to meet the requirements. Either way, it's kind of like giving yourself a rejection from the very beginning.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
but do you think it would be very bad if I put my pred grade like reasonable, but finally I'd get much higher overall grade.?
alright, I set 39, for last year I had pred 38, but I don't think it would get much worse than I was before, but I'm hoping to get some more like 41 finally...

my teacher said he wrote I was the best in my class etc so I don't think there would be any problems.

let's get one thing straight:

the application process do differ for UK and international.
only people in case of who are appling through a school or college the referees can put on the predicted grades.

if you are an individual you add your pred grades yourself, and the best if you consult then with your teachers. the referee does not see anything else but the box for pasting the reference.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by paperpheasant
but do you think it would be very bad if I put my pred grade like reasonable, but finally I'd get much higher overall grade.?
alright, I set 39, for last year I had pred 38, but I don't think it would get much worse than I was before, but I'm hoping to get some more like 41 finally...

my teacher said he wrote I was the best in my class etc so I don't think there would be any problems.

Overachieving is never a bad thing. :smile: Assuming an offer is the same as your predicted grade, getting a better result won't help you in any way since you've met the offer anyway. All you get is the satisfaction from a job well done. However, being predicted slightly lower than what you think you're really capable of (such as your 39 instead of 41) might actually be helpful in case universities make offers that are higher than your predictions. This might be the case especially for competitive courses and universities - which your grades definitely allow you to apply for - because the demand for places is high and applicants are of high academic standard. So if you're predicted 39, get an offer of 40 and really are capable of 41 then that's another offer in the bag, so to speak. :smile:

(Exceeding your offer also allows you to go into UCAS Adjustment to try and get into a 'better' university, but the success rate for that scheme is very low, like 10-15%.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending