Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering c: I've not found anyone else doing Advanced Higher Mandarin Chinese, although I think there might be some people doing Cantonese...

Or is there anyone doing any level of Chinese language qualification in Scotland on here?

ReputationRep:
    Na it's just you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Na it's just you
    Yay for me? :c

ReputationRep:
    Are you Chinese? Don't see many Scots learning Mandarin. Also, there's the fact that few schools/colleges in Scotland teach Mandarin.

ReputationRep:
    Mandarins are a type of orange, which in turn means its a fruit. Scots tend to distance theirselves from fruit :no:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Access 3 Mandarin for Work Purposes.

My school is one of these Confucius Hubs, so we get a few Chinese things going on. The course is a piece of cake though. Only need to know Pinyin and a few sentences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    Are you Chinese? Don't see many Scots learning Mandarin. Also, there's the fact that few schools/colleges in Scotland teach Mandarin.
    Nope, just plain Scottish. There is that though :/ I'm in a class of one person, not the best when I need some help XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Mandarins are a type of orange, which in turn means its a fruit. Scots tend to distance theirselves from fruit :no:
    I appreciate this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm360)
    I'm doing Access 3 Mandarin for Work Purposes.

My school is one of these Confucius Hubs, so we get a few Chinese things going on. The course is a piece of cake though. Only need to know Pinyin and a few sentences.
    Lucky for you XD I did Int 2 a few years ago, still found it pretty difficult to pick up compared to French, etc. though. You going to try Int1/Int2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caiitlinz)
    Nope, just plain Scottish. There is that though :/ I'm in a class of one person, not the best when I need some help XD
    I'm surprised they run a class of only one person, to be honest. Do you get whole periods of one on one teaching? I know the only girl in my school doing AH History and she needs to sit in on a Higher class and just sit reading at the back

ReputationRep:
    you clearly go to a private school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitamin D)
    I'm surprised they run a class of only one person, to be honest. Do you get whole periods of one on one teaching? I know the only girl in my school doing AH History and she needs to sit in on a Higher class and just sit reading at the back
    It sounds like I'm /very/ spoilt when I say it, but yep, 7 periods of one-on-one a week. Actually, there is someone who comes in for one lesson a week who is doing Higher, but she's half-native, so she does all the same work as me.

I think that's what they usually do for one-person classes, though. But my timetable didn't fit with when Higher runs.... Mind that that's only a two-person class anyway.

Not looking forward to coming out of the exam alone though :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    you clearly go to a private school!
    Yep, but that doesn't really matter much either way c:

ReputationRep:
    Lucky for you XD I did Int 2 a few years ago, still found it pretty difficult to pick up compared to French, etc. though. You going to try Int1/Int2?
    I would like to but I'm in sixth year so that would mean self-studying next year. No sure if I can be bothered with it to be honest.

I might continue learning it though, just for the sake of knowing some of another language.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but I don't go to a public school. Normal state school offers me my Mandarin. Class of 3.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect you are one of the lucky few

ReputationRep:
    I am! Oh, wait... I'm just doing a mandarin. Not quite the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hm360)
    I would like to but I'm in sixth year so that would mean self-studying next year. No sure if I can be bothered with it to be honest.

I might continue learning it though, just for the sake of knowing some of another language.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but I don't go to a public school. Normal state school offers me my Mandarin. Class of 3.
    Yeah, I'm in 6th Year too, and because none of the places I've applied for have Chinese departments I'm going to have to do the same if I want to keep it up. Not quite sure how I'm going to do that :/

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but that doesn't really matter much either way c:
    :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    I suspect you are one of the lucky few
    Hmmmmmmmmm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Attlee_party)
    :pierre:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.